Any way to avoid virtual resolutions?

Post by Adam Warne » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 20:23:32

Hi all,

Just a quick question whether it is possible when switching to _lower_
resolutions using CTRL-ALT-[+/-] to have the desktop size also reduce to
that resolution instead of ending up with a virtual desktop that you
scroll around using your mouse.

Or is there a way to trick an application that you are working at the
lower resolution, so for example if you maximise the application it
maximises to the screen size instead of maximising partly off the screen?

I'm using XFree86 version 4.1.0 on GNU/Linux.

Many thanks,
Adam

Post by Ian Stirlin » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:01:52

>Hi all,
>Just a quick question whether it is possible when switching to _lower_
>resolutions using CTRL-ALT-[+/-] to have the desktop size also reduce to
>that resolution instead of ending up with a virtual desktop that you
>scroll around using your mouse.
>Or is there a way to trick an application that you are working at the
>lower resolution, so for example if you maximise the application it
>maximises to the screen size instead of maximising partly off the screen?

Look into your window manager config.

For example, in fvwm95, in:

----
# Now the title bar buttons
# Any button in the left title-bar button gives the window ops menu
# Any button in the first right title-bar button Iconifies the window
# Any button in the second title-bar button full-maximizes
# Any button in the third (rightmost) title-bar button closes
# Note the use of "Mouse 0" for AnyButton.

#     Button    Context Modif   Function
Mouse 0         1       A       Function "window_ops_func"
Mouse 1         2       A       Delete
Mouse 0         4       A       Maximize 100 100
Mouse 0         6       A       Iconify
----

Changing Maximize 100 100
to Maximise 50 50
will make the maximise button maximise to 50% of the screen height
and size.
Getting it to maximise to the current size may be harder.

"I am the Emperor, and I want dumplings."      - Austrian Emperor, Ferdinand I.

Any way to avoid virtual resolutions?

Post by Adam Warne » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 18:04:55

<snip>

Quote:>>Or is there a way to trick an application that you are working at the
>>lower resolution, so for example if you maximise the application it
>>maximises to the screen size instead of maximising partly off the
>>screen?

> Look into your window manager config.

<snip>

Thanks for answering the second question.

Regards,
Adam

Any way to avoid virtual resolutions?

Post by Juha Laih » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:30:21

Quote:>Just a quick question whether it is possible when switching to _lower_
>resolutions using CTRL-ALT-[+/-] to have the desktop size also reduce to
>that resolution instead of ending up with a virtual desktop that you
>scroll around using your mouse.

Basically no. As I understand it, in X it's not possible to change root
window geometry (size) or depth (amount of colors) without X server
restart.

Quote:>Or is there a way to trick an application that you are working at the
>lower resolution, so for example if you maximise the application it
>maximises to the screen size instead of maximising partly off the screen?

Some window manager trick might do. But I'm not even certain is a window
manager can find what is your viewport size (the visible portion of the
root window, i.e. screen pixel dimensions) at a given moment.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

         !M V PS(+) PE Y+ PGP(+) t- 5 !X R !tv b+ !DI D G e+ h--- r+++ y+++

Post by Peter Peterse » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 06:45:43

>>Just a quick question whether it is possible when switching to _lower_
>>resolutions using CTRL-ALT-[+/-] to have the desktop size also reduce to
>>that resolution instead of ending up with a virtual desktop that you
>>scroll around using your mouse.

>Basically no. As I understand it, in X it's not possible to change root
>window geometry (size) or depth (amount of colors) without X server
>restart.

Some of the major annoyances with X for me ever since. :(

Peter

1. Q: Avoid Virtual Desktop at lower display resolutions?

I think I've read every relevant version of TFM, but this one escapes me.

What I'm trying to get is a default working environment using 800x600
both physical and virtual (extended desktop c/o olvwm).   However,
I should like to be able to soft-switch to 1024x768, which is also
reasonably usable on my system.

Now it appears that if my XF86Config screens include 1024x768 (or worse
the 1152x896 painful interlaced mode which XF86Setup defaulted me to),
all lower resolution modes will have an XFree86 virtual desktop, regardless
of my _not_ having a "Virtual" directive in XF86Config.

Can any kind soul point me to the right place in TFM for this one?
I'm a little concerned some of my documentation may be outdated, since
it starts with a Walnut Creek CDROM with 3.1.2 but I have 3.2 for
the S3V driver (after a saga with a hopeless Matrox Mystique I was
fortunately able to change :-).

TIA,
Nick Kew.

2. Scandinavian Chars

3. Ways to avoid zombies

4. SVGAlib: Please send me a COMPILED viewer!

5. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

6. linux support for filesize > 2 gigabytes ???

7. Virtual Resolution? Virtual Window?

8. Configuring Afterstep's wharf

9. wu-ftpd MultiHomed vs Virtual ( two ways )

10. AVOID* Computers Ur Way * AVOID

11. Newbie question: virtual screen resolution

12. Changing Virtual Desktops resolution

13. resolution and virtual screens