Upgraded to KDE 1.1.2 and XFree86 3.3.5, and there is weirdness..

Upgraded to KDE 1.1.2 and XFree86 3.3.5, and there is weirdness..

Post by Walter Franci » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded XFree and KDE at the same time, and upon restarting X
everything looked okay at first..  But I've noticed two obvious
problems, but I'm not sure where they are coming from.  One of them I'm
blaming each for, but I don't know.

In Netscape, if I view a (damned) HTML message, the background stays
unless I exit the Communicator window.  So I have this durn white
background for all my mail and news unless I quit Netscape, which is
rather irritating if I'm in the middle of a 500 message newsgroup.

Another problem with scrolling, only noticed in Netscape as well.
Occationally I find that when I scroll down, the text at the bottom of
the screen looks to have a horizontal line duplicated.  Most noticable
when there is an 'e' on the line, the flat line in the e is twice as
wide as it should be.  The entire line has this double line.

Has anyone else noticed either of these annoying behaviours?  I wish I
had installed both applications separately so I would have known which
one caused the problem.

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.org                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

Upgraded to KDE 1.1.2 and XFree86 3.3.5, and there is weirdness..

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Walter Francis;

 WF> I upgraded XFree and KDE at the same time, and upon restarting X
 WF> everything looked okay at first..  But I've noticed two obvious
 WF> problems, but I'm not sure where they are coming from.  One of
 WF> them I'm blaming each for, but I don't know.

 WF> In Netscape, if I view a (damned) HTML message, the background
 WF> stays unless I exit the Communicator window.  So I have this durn
 WF> white background for all my mail and news unless I quit Netscape,
 WF> which is rather irritating if I'm in the middle of a 500 message
 WF> newsgroup.

 WF> Another problem with scrolling, only noticed in Netscape as well.
 WF>  Occationally I find that when I scroll down, the text at the
 WF> bottom of the screen looks to have a horizontal line duplicated.
 WF> Most noticable when there is an 'e' on the line, the flat line in
 WF> the e is twice as wide as it should be.  The entire line has this
 WF> double line.

That problem, or conversly, a missing line, has been with us since
forever, or at least since 3.3.3.2.  In netscape, there is a pulldown
that will refresh the screen, and the resulting redraw doesn't contain
the error.
[...]

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

Post by Walter Franci » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> That problem, or conversly, a missing line, has been with us since
> forever, or at least since 3.3.3.2.  In netscape, there is a pulldown
> that will refresh the screen, and the resulting redraw doesn't contain
> the error.

Aha, I just upgraded from 3.3.3, so I've never noticed it before.  I
think I tried refreshing, but maybe I only did it to try to get the
annoying white background to go away, from the other problem I'm
having..