Removing Xwindows from start-up (How???)

Removing Xwindows from start-up (How???)

Post by J. Jackso » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
This happened when I put an entry in /etc/inittab to start an ftp server
automatically on boot-up but after I rebooted, the ftp server started and
so didi Xwindows! I went back and removed that ftp server entry and
rebooted with Xwindows still starting after the boot-up. Before I manually
started X-windows because I don't need to be in it as mucha s the console
and I really rather not use the memory for Xwindows. Anyway, I don't know
how to get my console login back. I've searched the heck outta USENET to
no avail. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by dirk » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,
> This happened when I put an entry in /etc/inittab to start an ftp server
> automatically on boot-up but after I rebooted, the ftp server started and
> so didi Xwindows! I went back and removed that ftp server entry and
> rebooted with Xwindows still starting after the boot-up. Before I manually
> started X-windows because I don't need to be in it as mucha s the console
> and I really rather not use the memory for Xwindows. Anyway, I don't know
> how to get my console login back. I've searched the heck outta USENET to
> no avail. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on your linux distribution you can define several run levels
(init process). Take a run level with network support but without
xserver (its runlevel 2 on Suse systems). You can define the default
runlvel in /etc/inittab.(Change to your text console with CTRL-ALT-F1.)

Ciao,
        Dirk

Removing Xwindows from start-up (How???)

Post by J. Jackso » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the help but it didin't fix my problem. Yeah I can switch to my
text console but I can't switch back to Xwindows and I end up having to
kill the Xsession. I need to remove X from starting up in windows not
switch back and forth to a text console. Any more suggestions?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by a » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Thanks for the help but it didin't fix my problem. Yeah I can switch to my
> text console but I can't switch back to Xwindows and I end up having to
> kill the Xsession. I need to remove X from starting up in windows not
> switch back and forth to a text console. Any more suggestions?

In your /etc/inittab file, find the line:

id:5:initdefault:

Change it to:

id:3:initdefault:

When you reboot, you will be in runlevel 3 (console mode).

1. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

Extra info -- commenting out the line
no-listen = tcp
in the config file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config
and then executing:
/sbin/service xfs start
/sbin/service xfs status

now shows that the font server is running.
However the X server still barfs in exactly the same way.

2. Beep on incoming mail. How ?

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Syquest SparQ 1.0GB drive

5. Xwindows and Lock Ups

6. Truncated names on HP-UX v8 files ???

7. How to remove 2.5.8 after upping to 2.6.3??

8. mgetty problem !

9. Start-ups

10. Delayed systerm logger at start ups

11. Can't wait for UPS/FedEx, need help getting started with 5.2.

12. diff -rcN ups-2.45.2/Makefile ups/Makefile

13. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68