KDE won't start anymore

Post by AURELIA NORA » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Is this the right place to post this ?

Anyway.. maybe someone can help me...

I have KDE 1.1.2 and I have been working with the Global Keys, choosing ALT
for system pop-up or something..
Suddenly KDE crached and now it starts, I can see the coarse background  and
the mouse, but before loading a desktop scheme it crahes and says: kpanel:
waiting for Window manager ..

Anyone knows what the cause may be ?

Any way I can start KDE with STANDARD configuration  ? and where does KDE
store the desktop theme settings ?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I also erased some Themes, but I thought KDE uses the tar.gz ones.
Isn't that true ?

KDE won't start anymore

Post by Paul J Collin » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

-snip-
    AURELIA> Suddenly KDE crached and now it starts, I can see the
    AURELIA> coarse background and the mouse, but before loading a
    AURELIA> desktop scheme it crahes and says: kpanel: waiting for
    AURELIA> Window manager ..

    AURELIA> Anyone knows what the cause may be ?
-snip-

I don't know what the cause is, but KDE stores some settings in a file
in your home directory called ".kderc"; it may be worth removing or
moving this file and seeing if KDE will start for you then.

If you log in as another user, will KDE start then?  Or is it that it
won't work when you are logged in as yourself?

Paul.

--

Fingerprint: 88BA 2393 8E3C CECF E43A  44B4 0766 DD71 04E5 962C

KDE won't start anymore

Post by AURELIA NORA » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi there

I am logged in as root. Everything else works. BTW, I don't know how to
start an 'old' style X server (not KDE)..

So, I start KDE with startx, then it crashes, and the message I get in the
screen is:

kpanel: waiting for the window manager.

waiting for X to shut down.

This is it !  If, say, you removed a theme you were using in KDE (without
teling KDE), would KDE crash next time you started it ? How would you start
KDE with NO background, etc. It seems kpanel is the problem here... damn it.

Thanks

> -snip-
>     AURELIA> Suddenly KDE crached and now it starts, I can see the
>     AURELIA> coarse background and the mouse, but before loading a
>     AURELIA> desktop scheme it crahes and says: kpanel: waiting for
>     AURELIA> Window manager ..

>     AURELIA> Anyone knows what the cause may be ?
> -snip-

> I don't know what the cause is, but KDE stores some settings in a file
> in your home directory called ".kderc"; it may be worth removing or
> moving this file and seeing if KDE will start for you then.

> If you log in as another user, will KDE start then?  Or is it that it
> won't work when you are logged in as yourself?

> Paul.

> --

> Fingerprint: 88BA 2393 8E3C CECF E43A  44B4 0766 DD71 04E5 962C
>                       >>>>> A&P,a&f <<<<<

KDE won't start anymore

Post by O.N. » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Found prob: THANKS I have edited kderc to take out ALT for system pop up and it
IS BACK !!

> Hi there

> I am logged in as root. Everything else works. BTW, I don't know how to
> start an 'old' style X server (not KDE)..

> So, I start KDE with startx, then it crashes, and the message I get in the
> screen is:

> kpanel: waiting for the window manager.

> waiting for X to shut down.

> This is it !  If, say, you removed a theme you were using in KDE (without
> teling KDE), would KDE crash next time you started it ? How would you start
> KDE with NO background, etc. It seems kpanel is the problem here... damn it.

> Thanks

> > -snip-
> >     AURELIA> Suddenly KDE crached and now it starts, I can see the
> >     AURELIA> coarse background and the mouse, but before loading a
> >     AURELIA> desktop scheme it crahes and says: kpanel: waiting for
> >     AURELIA> Window manager ..

> >     AURELIA> Anyone knows what the cause may be ?
> > -snip-

> > I don't know what the cause is, but KDE stores some settings in a file
> > in your home directory called ".kderc"; it may be worth removing or
> > moving this file and seeing if KDE will start for you then.

> > If you log in as another user, will KDE start then?  Or is it that it
> > won't work when you are logged in as yourself?

> > Paul.

> > --

> > Fingerprint: 88BA 2393 8E3C CECF E43A  44B4 0766 DD71 04E5 962C
> >                       >>>>> A&P,a&f <<<<<

1. power failure -> kde won't start anymore

Hi,

After power failure, my kde system won't start anmore.

I still get graphical login-prompt but after entering username and
password, it returns to login-prompt.

I was logged in as normal user but root login didn't work as well.

Which files could be corrupt and how can i repair kde?

My system: RedHat 7.2 on Dell Inspiron 5000e Notebook

Tanks in advance,

Phyrum

2. binutils-2.11-2.11.2-patch.gz

3. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

4. ADI 4GP video modes wanted

5. Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

6. Sending request to remote WWW server

7. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

8. Error Starting VisionFS

9. Xwindows won't start anymore

10. KDE don't start anymore !!!!!!!!

11. KDE doesn't start anymore