Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by Richard B. Ryd » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:17:38

I'm trying to get X to work on a P60 with a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 w/ 1
Meg.

So far no luck.  Anyone else use this card, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Richard Ryder

KA1ZGA

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by Jiang Qi » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 08:36:49

Quote:>Just got through doing that myself - but my card has 2 MEG.

>Weird thing was, SuperProbe was able to detect the chipset as a
>Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434, but only found 1 MEG of memory.  Of course,

>I thought it was wrong, and set it up for 2 MEG.  X-Windows
>was screwed up until I set it to 1 Meg of memory - I use
>X11R6 from the slackware distribution at the Sunsite, and the setup
>utility that comes with it (it isn't xf86config - something like
>x11-something-somethingelse).

I had similar situation. My card has 2 MB and SuperProbe reprots 1MB.
on the contraray when I set video memory in my configration file 1 MB
and startx the mouse disappear but set back to 2MB everything goes
fine(SVGA server, 8bpp, resolution 1024x768).

I also set other two modes with 800x600 and 400x300(? not sure) resolution,
however when I switch to these two modes, the X window shift horizontally
to the right. I guess I didn't setup clock rate right. If someone with
CL-GD5434 card and superview 1280 monitor had solved this problem, could
you please send me a copy of your xf86config file to this account?

ECE
Univ. of Iowa

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by Arc Wa » Sun, 05 Feb 1995 08:07:07

Anyone have X-Windows R6 in 1024x768 16bit (65,000+ colors)?
If so, how did you do it?

--
 .---------------------------------------------------------------------------.

 |________________________.-------------------------.________________________|
 `---*Team OS/2*---------OS/2 WARP / Linux / AmigaCD32-----------------------'

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by Chris Rick » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 03:26:25

If you read the info files, they said not to run SuperProbe or any other
dot-clock probing stuff on Cirrus cards.  Try doing xfree86-config (or what-
ever it's called, anyway the one starting with x, not ConfigXF86) again, don't
do any kind of probing or mucking with dot clocks, and tell it you have 2 megs.
See what happens then.

later,
chris
--

Blessed are the young for they shall inherit the national debt.

Post by TB » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 03:56:07

: >Just got through doing that myself - but my card has 2 MEG.
: >
: >Weird thing was, SuperProbe was able to detect the chipset as a
: >Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434, but only found 1 MEG of memory.  Of course,
: >
: >I thought it was wrong, and set it up for 2 MEG.  X-Windows
: >was screwed up until I set it to 1 Meg of memory - I use
: >X11R6 from the slackware distribution at the Sunsite, and the setup
: >utility that comes with it (it isn't xf86config - something like
: >x11-something-somethingelse).

: I had similar situation. My card has 2 MB and SuperProbe reprots 1MB.
: on the contraray when I set video memory in my configration file 1 MB
: and startx the mouse disappear but set back to 2MB everything goes
: fine(SVGA server, 8bpp, resolution 1024x768).

Ok, I was able to get 2 megs on my card after it only found 1.  Howver, I
did lose the cursor.  Fortunately, I was able to get the cursor back,
using the option "sw_cursor".  Now, I have an even stranger problem:

When X windows starts, it doesn't clear out the bottom 80% of the screen.
What's left is the speckle pattern.  When a window comes up, like an
xterm, it can be placed in the speckle, and it acts like a giant eraser as
I move it arpound the screen, wiping out speckle and replacing it with
blue.  When I go for a screen saver, only the same part that wwas cleared
before is blacked out, but the screen saver will clear out the rest of the
screen as it goes.  E.g., Bouncing balls will wipe out the xterms with
blackness.  When the mouse is clicked, all is restored.  XV, however, has
no problem recognizing the entire screen, such as when root mode is used.
Is this just some weird parameter set in my .xinitrc?

Thanks is advance.

Tal

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by Matt Nels » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 06:23:02

[snip]

Quote:>When X windows starts, it doesn't clear out the bottom 80% of the screen.
>What's left is the speckle pattern.  When a window comes up, like an
>xterm, it can be placed in the speckle, and it acts like a giant eraser as
>I move it arpound the screen, wiping out speckle and replacing it with
>blue.  When I go for a screen saver, only the same part that wwas cleared
>before is blacked out, but the screen saver will clear out the rest of the
>screen as it goes.  E.g., Bouncing balls will wipe out the xterms with
>blackness.  When the mouse is clicked, all is restored.  XV, however, has
>no problem recognizing the entire screen, such as when root mode is used.
>Is this just some weird parameter set in my .xinitrc?

does your .xinitrc do a 'xsetroot -solid' command?  if so, the 'speckled'
background is actually the normal x-windows background (sort of a diagonal
weave pattern).

i saw the same behavior (though i don't use a screensaver).  it went away when
if added the 'noaccel' option to my XF86Config.  the speed hit really isn't
too bad, either.  in fact, i don't notice any difference (well, at least with
the apps *i* use).

-matt

Post by Mike Murph » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 06:40:13

> I also set other two modes with 800x600 and 400x300(? not sure) resolution,
> however when I switch to these two modes, the X window shift horizontally
> to the right.

This is going to sound like a silly question, but _how_ do you get X in
different "modes", like 1024 X 768?  I run it, and get everything at a huge
resolution on a virtual scrolling desktop, but I can't get high res...

I am also using a Kelvin with 2 meg...  the config program seemed to work
pretty good in setting up my config file, but I know so little about the stuff
in it that I probably couldn't modify it without a lot of help.

Mike

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 PCI -- Config problems

Post by C J Re » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:02:33

Hmm, I press Control-Alt-Plus repeatedly and it cycles through the possible
modes, I think in the order in which they appear in XF86Config. If the earth
(I mean screen) moves, one can use the horizontal shift on ones monitor...
Or one might try tweaking all those numbers in the mode lines of 'Config.

ho-hum..
                                C.J.R.

1. XF86Config for Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434

Hi
I am a Linux beginner who happened to have a monitor Presario-140
from COMPAQ and is having a hard time trying to get X Windows to
work. So if there is anyone with a working copy of XF86Config and
wouldn't mind sharing it, I would really appreciate it if you can
send me a copy of it. Some technical specifications are:
   Video Adapter Type: XGA
       Manufacturer  : Cirrus
      Display Type   : VGA Color
        Video Mode   : 3
     Number of Columns : 80
     Number of Rows    : 25
 Video BIOS Version : CL-DG543x PCI VGA Version 1.20
       VESA Version : 1.20
  VESA OEM Name : Cirrus Logic GD-54xx VGA
  Secondary Adapter : VGA

Thans in advance for your help
                               Tony.

2. Solaris 2 binder properties

3. Cirrus logic CL-GD5434

4. resetting ruptime output

5. Need Cirrus CL-GD5434 Info/Config

6. 2.1 and Linux problem

7. XF86Config problem with Cirrus CL-GD5434

8. serial port characteristics

9. Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446, CL-GD5440 and Trident PCI 9440

10. Diamond SpeedStar 64 - Cirrus CL-GD5434

11. XFR86Config for Cirrus CL-GD5434 and Packard Bell 1511SL???

12. Acclerated XF86_SVGA for Cirrus CL-GD5434 in 16bpp in Xfree 3.1.2

13. Cirrus CL-GD5434 woes (even monochrome is NG)