STB Virge card with gateway monitor

Post by Paul Flanag » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to configure X on a gateway box with  an STB Virge/VX card
and a Vivitron 21" monotor. I cannot figure out the mode lines or
clock settings for the XF86Config file. Can anybody help.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

STB Virge card with gateway monitor

Post by Thomas D. Lemle » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have run into a similar problem with a new Gateway G6-200 Pentium Pro
box using the STB Velocity 3D card (ViRGE/VX) with 4M VRAM. I only have
the 17 inch Vivitron 700 monitor (CPD-GF200).

I have the XF86_S3G server installed, and I entered the monitor parameters
right out of the Gateway manual for the display. When I tried to use the
probe switch to get the clocks data, which has always worked in the past
with other video cards that I have tried, I was totally frustrated by the
response.

Here is the way I probed the card:

        X -probeonly

Instead of getting the chip identification and clocks as in the past, I got
a message stating that the XF86_3G server is experimental and to obtain
a newer server, or something to that effect.

What the Hell? Over.

If anyone has a working XF86config file that works with this combo should
please send us a copy, or give another good clue.

Tom

Quote:> I am trying to configure X on a gateway box with  an STB Virge/VX card
> and a Vivitron 21" monotor. I cannot figure out the mode lines or
> clock settings for the XF86Config file. Can anybody help.

> Many thanks in advance

> Paul

STB Virge card with gateway monitor

Post by g.. » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have run into a similar problem with a new Gateway G6-200 Pentium Pro
> box using the STB Velocity 3D card (ViRGE/VX) with 4M VRAM...

I think you need a patch for this card. Take a look at
http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/xfree86/FAQ/index.html#S3ViRGE

--Greg

STB Virge card with gateway monitor

Post by Mike Do » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

|> I have run into a similar problem with a new Gateway G6-200 Pentium Pro
|> box using the STB Velocity 3D card (ViRGE/VX) with 4M VRAM. I only have
|> the 17 inch Vivitron 700 monitor (CPD-GF200).
|>
|> I have the XF86_S3G server installed, and I entered the monitor parameters

I am not sure if this is a typo, but I believe you should be using the
XF86_S3V sever.
       -

|> right out of the Gateway manual for the display. When I tried to use the
|> probe switch to get the clocks data, which has always worked in the past
|> with other video cards that I have tried, I was totally frustrated by the
|> response.
|>
|> Here is the way I probed the card:
|>
|>   X -probeonly
|>
|> Instead of getting the chip identification and clocks as in the past, I got
|> a message stating that the XF86_3G server is experimental and to obtain
|> a newer server, or something to that effect.
|>
|> What the Hell? Over.

I have this card, but a different monitor.  I too, being somewhat of a beginer
with setting up X, had some problems setting up X.  Below is a excerpt of
corresponce between me and InfoMagic Tech support, where I purchased Linux.
(the lines with ">" are me.

--begin excerpt

Quote:> I didn't know how to answer the RAMDAC question and the clock

That's ok, the server ussually probes for this.

Quote:> questions.  So I gave them no answers.  I tried the probe option but
> it returned some error from grep.  I ran startx

NEVER, EVER run probes on S3 based cards.  It will always fail in
some strange, mysterious way.

--end excerpt

Just say no to the probe option in xf86config.  The tech support was very
emphatic about not using probe.  I have no clocks defined in my xf86config
and it works fine.

|> If anyone has a working XF86config file that works with this combo should
|> please send us a copy, or give another good clue.
|>
|> Tom

As it is my home computer that has the STB card, I dont have the XF86config
file on me.  If you are still having troubles I will try to bring it in
tomarrow.

Hope this helps,
Mike Doll

--
Michael (Mike) Doll            Phone    (937) 426-3111 (ext 342)
MTL Systems, Inc               Fax      (937) 426-8301

Dayton, OH 45432-2796

1. Problem with Gateway STB Virge/VX and Sony Multiscan 200SX monitor

I have a Gateway P200 MMX with teh STB Virge/VX 4MB PCI video card.
It's hooked up to a Sony Multiscan 200sx monitor.  And I am running
Linux 4.1 from the RedHat distribution

Here's the problem:
During Xconfigurator I select the Virge/VX generic card and
do custom on the monitor.  640X480 and 800X600 work fine
except for one thing.  The virtual display size is much larger
than the physical display size.  When I want to look at the
bottom of the screen or the right of the screen I have to
drag the mouse and the screen scrolls.  This is extremely
annoying.

I'm not sure if this is a funciton of the window manager (fvwm95-2)
or the X server.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,
Mark

Chrysalis Symbolic Design       | uunet:     ...!uunet!chrysalis!gillman
9430 Research Blvd.             | TEL:       (512) 343-3623
Echelon IV                      | FAX:       (512) 342-2270
Suite 400                       | PAGER:     (800) 580-6294
Austin, Texas 78759             |

2. Numerous descriptors for same log file

3. STB Virge (OEM/Gateway) Linear Buffer Problem

4. How can I create a pop-up message when somebody ftp to my site

5. Gateway G6-200 with STB ViRGE[TM] 8MB, 3D 64-bit Graphics

6. Matrox Impression Plus & Mag DX17F

7. Video Card probs. - Gateway STB, AGP 4MB Graphics Card ????

8. SpreadSheets

9. STB Virge Graphics card ??????

10. stb vision - Can I run the X-Window system on a monitor that has STB ?

11. Gateway 2000 STB Video card

12. Gateway's STB W32P vs. ATI PCI cards for Linux/Xfree

13. STB Video Card in Gateway 2000