HELP! I am trapped inside of XDM!!!

Post by Robert A. Maial » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I am inside of xdm right now. I can't get out. Every time I try to
kill the processes, XDM locks up which forces me to hard re-boot....you
can imagine my dismay when I have to do that. So while I am trpped here
I have searched through the XDM MAN pages. I noticed under "controlling
the server" that I can kill the XDM process. Maybe I am misunderstanding
something here but if someone can come to my rescue I'd owe them my
freedom...thanks.

  Robert A. Maiale

  Key fingerprint =  9E F2 80 36 B5 60 AE DC  83 B2 5A FD 38 8F 4B 04

Post by Stev » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I am inside of xdm right now. I can't get out. Every time I try to
> kill the processes, XDM locks up which forces me to hard re-boot....you
> can imagine my dismay when I have to do that. So while I am trpped here
> I have searched through the XDM MAN pages. I noticed under "controlling
> the server" that I can kill the XDM process. Maybe I am misunderstanding
> something here but if someone can come to my rescue I'd owe them my
> freedom...thanks.

it sounds like you are "inside of" X, i.e. you posted this message,
correct? If what you mean is you don't want to boot up in X, the thing
to do is go in (as root) and edit inittab to change to a run level that
does not start xdm. which level to use depends on your version of Linux,
but usually it will be self-evident once you get into the file.

good luck

--
                 \\\|///
               \\  - -  //

+-------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
Steve Smith
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd                            /|\
Golden, CO 80401                           *
                                         *   *
                                     <--*     *--> NREL
                                         *   *
Phone: (303)384-6625                       *
FAX:   (303)384-6604                      \|/

http://nsom.eecs.umich.edu/~steve/
+----------------------Oooo----------------------------+
               oooO   (   )
              (   )    ) /
               \ (    (_/
                \_)

Post by E. Kevin Hal » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> >     I am inside of xdm right now. I can't get out. Every time I try to
> > kill the processes, XDM locks up which forces me to hard re-boot....you
> > can imagine my dismay when I have to do that. So while I am trpped here
> > I have searched through the XDM MAN pages. I noticed under "controlling
> > the server" that I can kill the XDM process. Maybe I am misunderstanding
> > something here but if someone can come to my rescue I'd owe them my
> > freedom...thanks.

> it sounds like you are "inside of" X, i.e. you posted this message,
> correct? If what you mean is you don't want to boot up in X, the thing
> to do is go in (as root) and edit inittab to change to a run level that
> does not start xdm. which level to use depends on your version of Linux,
> but usually it will be self-evident once you get into the file.

> good luck

Or, if you want to stay in your current init level (Do you
understand those? Unix has 6 init levels basically. Typing 'init
0' as root will shut the machine down. 1 brings the machine into
single user mode (no net,gfx), 3 (in linux) is multi user, 6 is a
reboot.)

So, presuming that you're using 3 like most linux's I've seen,

cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (it might differ slightly, look for rc3.d
whichi corresponds
to the init level 3 and look for something like S90xdm.

All of those files in there link back to ../init.d where the
files are actually
kept. The number basically represents the order in which these
are called, smaller numbers get called first.

Try:

mv S90xdm out.S90xdm

That way, the xdm script won't get called.

--
E. Kevin Hall

1. Problem trapping signals inside bash scripts

Hello all,

I simply cannot find the ERR as a valid bash signal that lets
me trap any anomalous exit from external apps called inside my scripts.
I has been successfully using it under HP-UX shell script and I simply
don't understand why bash doesn't support it.
Shouldn't bash extend the capacibiliers of both sh and ksh scripting
languages.

Marco

2. Cicero Word Processor

3. Problem trapping ERR signal inside shell script

4. Is there a linux for a palmtop?

5. <trap...> inside while loop Question

6. iplanet SSL

7. Problem trapping signal inside shell scripts

8. konsole: bash or tcsh

9. Linux advocate trapped inside a Windows Box

10. exit status inside trap

11. Problem trapping ERR signal inside shell script

12. Help with K-TRAP KERNAL TRAP error

13. can anyone help: "BAD TRAP", trap type = 0x31