Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by Ingvar Hagelun » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00



I love using E and Gnome on my new installed Red Hat 6.0 system, after
having used fvwm for several years. But there's one thing I just don't
understand, and I've skimmed through all the docs I've found (not much, too
bad), and could not find the answer to this. When (left)clicking on an
application in the taskbar in the pager applet, the window gets un-iconified
(if iconified) and focused, but it is not raised to the front of the
display. So if I have many windows open, I can't switch between them using
the taskbar. How can I configure this, either using E-conf or by hacking
some config files. I'm a newbie on E, all right - but believe me, I really
tried to RTFM. Thanks for any help.

Ingvar

 
 
 

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by Trever Adam » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> I love using E and Gnome on my new installed Red Hat 6.0 system, after
> having used fvwm for several years. But there's one thing I just don't
> understand, and I've skimmed through all the docs I've found (not much, too
> bad), and could not find the answer to this. When (left)clicking on an
> application in the taskbar in the pager applet, the window gets un-iconified
> (if iconified) and focused, but it is not raised to the front of the
> display. So if I have many windows open, I can't switch between them using
> the taskbar. How can I configure this, either using E-conf or by hacking
> some config files. I'm a newbie on E, all right - but believe me, I really
> tried to RTFM. Thanks for any help.

> Ingvar

Enlightenment as comes with RedHat 6.0 is broken.  Go to
ftp.enlightenment.org/pub/enlightenment I believe it is... get the
15.5-100 rpm of it.  That will work.

Trever

 
 
 

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by Charles E. Kinne » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> I love using E and Gnome . . .
<< snip >>
> . . . When (left)clicking on an
> application in the taskbar in the pager applet, the window gets
> un-iconified (if iconified) and focused, but it is not raised to the
> front of the display. So if I have many windows open, I can't switch
> between them using the taskbar. How can I configure this, either
> using E-conf or by hacking some config files. I'm a newbie on E, all
> right . . .

Fire up the Window Manager from the default System Menu.  Choose
Enlightenment.  Under Behavior, in the Advance Focus tab, enable
everything.  CLick the Apply buttin, then go about your business.
Whatever you click from the task bar or task list (I don't keep task
buttons active -- too much clutter for me) the app *will* pop up top and
will have the focus.  I poped this up and started typing without having
to put the mouse pointer into the window.

You can then experiment with turning off and testing features to get
just what you want.  The stuff's all there -- it can just get a little
frustrating trying to find it.  Of course it *could* be worse:  you
*could* be trying to customize Windows <<grin>>.

Best,
  Chuck Kinney

--
********************************************
"Do Not Attribute To Malice
 That Which Can Be Attributed To Stupidity"

 
 
 

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by DonJ » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00




> > I love using E and Gnome . . .
> << snip >>
> > . . . When (left)clicking on an
> > application in the taskbar in the pager applet, the window gets
> > un-iconified (if iconified) and focused, but it is not raised to the
> > front of the display. So if I have many windows open, I can't switch
> > between them using the taskbar. How can I configure this, either
> > using E-conf or by hacking some config files. I'm a newbie on E, all
> > right . . .

> Fire up the Window Manager from the default System Menu.  Choose
> Enlightenment.  Under Behavior, in the Advance Focus tab, enable
> everything.  CLick the Apply buttin, then go about your business.
> Whatever you click from the task bar or task list (I don't keep task
> buttons active -- too much clutter for me) the app *will* pop up top and
> will have the focus.  I poped this up and started typing without having
> to put the mouse pointer into the window.

> You can then experiment with turning off and testing features to get
> just what you want.  The stuff's all there -- it can just get a little
> frustrating trying to find it.  Of course it *could* be worse:  you
> *could* be trying to customize Windows <<grin>>.

> Best,
>   Chuck Kinney

> --
> ********************************************
> "Do Not Attribute To Malice
>  That Which Can Be Attributed To Stupidity"

The default easy way to get to "Enlightment configuration under Gnome ->
Enlightment combo is:
  A middle mouse button anywhere on the desktop background.

Unless you changed Enlightments Mouse events that is.

The only thing I don't like about Enlightment is it grabs to many keys
for only being a WindowManger. The WM should be almost invisable as far
as keyboard and/or mouse input in general.

--
 -----------------------
  Don E. Groves, Jr.
  my Email is jetnick AT erols DOT com

  I'll add a witty saying here later.

----------------

 
 
 

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by Ingvar Hagelun » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:><< snip >>
>> So if I have many windows open, I can't switch
>> between them using the taskbar. How can I configure this, either
>> using E-conf or by hacking some config files. I'm a newbie on E, all
>> right . . .

>Fire up the Window Manager from the default System Menu.  Choose
>Enlightenment.  Under Behavior, in the Advance Focus tab, enable
>everything.  CLick the Apply buttin,

<<snip>>

Well, er, no. That didn't work, at least nor for me. Some other said that
the Enlightenment with Red Hat 6.0 is broken. Really true? OK, Ill try to
download a newer version.

Ingvar

 
 
 

Gnome pager applet /taskbar

Post by Ingvar Hagelun » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Quote:>> I love using E and Gnome on my new installed Red Hat 6.0 system,
>> (snip)...
>Enlightenment as comes with RedHat 6.0 is broken.  Go to
>ftp.enlightenment.org/pub/enlightenment I believe it is... get the
>15.5-100 rpm of it.  That will work.

ftp.enlightenment.org is down, probably because Rasterman quit his job at
Red Hat. The mirrors are still alive though, i downloaded the rpm from
ftp://e.themes.org/pub/enlightenment/enlightenment . Worked great. Thanks.

Ingvar
(Oslo, Norway)

 
 
 

1. GNOME "dropping" applets off taskbar?

Hi

For some reason I cannot fathom, applets keep "dropping" off the GNOME
taskbar when exiting and then later entering Xwindows. By "dropping" I mean
that an applet is suddenly a window that is in the upper left corner of the
desktop, instead of a taskbar applet like it was at last Xwindows shutdown.

Any ideas why this is happening??

Thanks!

Stefan

2. PostScript and BJ-200: no output

3. gnome pager applet in RHL 7.2

4. Announce: FreeBSD CD/floppy boot/rescue disk

5. Can KDE Taskbar act like GNOME taskbar?

6. Can I mount Solaris ufs partition in UnixWare 2.1

7. Configuring the pager and taskbar in KDE.

8. Oracle binaries in a VCS environment

9. How to remove applets from taskbar

10. How do I create an applet that resides in Taskbar ?

11. applets and taskbar miss loading

12. KDE2 Removing applets from taskbar

13. Kde Taskbar applet