XF2.1.1 shell window freezes

Post by Ken Ry » Tue, 17 Jan 1995 14:02:52

        Hi!

        I'm running XFree 2.1 (.1, I think) under kernel 1.1.63.  When
I'm working in a cmdtool or shelltool window I can type a few commands
(between 2 and maybe 20) then it freezes.  The shell accepts the "enter"
after the command and moves the cursor, then it's stuck.  I can always
close the window from the pop-up, open a new window, and continue.  Any
programs spawned from the old window still run fine.

        Here is other information on my system, and combinations I've tried:

        486ISA, ET4000 graphics
        800x600 and 640x480 modes
        Kernel 1.1.63 and 1.1.51
        Logitech C-7 mouse
        16M memory, 16M swap
        Always using OpenLook window manager
        Tried cmdtool, shelltool
        Tried bash and tcsh

        It only happens when logged in on a nonpriveledged account.  The
root account works at least as long as I've needed it (I won't commit to
"all day" :) ).  It never happens on the plain console.  Doesn't matter
if ppp is up or down (I have no other network).  Doesn't matter what the
commands are.

        After exiting I see console messages of the form:

        "tty_sigwinch: cannot get tty process group: not a typewriter."

Sometimes it mentions the name of a program, usually not.  I have not
noticed a correlation between the number of messages like above and the
number of window freezes or number of times I've retried a command while
the window is frozen.

        I've R'ed all TFM's I can find, and have no further clues.  Could
some kind guru reccommend where I might look for problems?

        Thanks in advance.  An e-mail response is preferred, but I will
periodically recheck this newsgroup.

                Ken Ryan

1. #9 GXE-64 w/XF2.1.1 ???

Folks, please help!

I remember seeing some modified server for S3-864 somewhere (XF2.1.1).
Can not find it anymore. Please, how to run #9 GXE64 w/XF86-2.1.1?
I'm not upgrading to 3.1 so please don't suggest that.
Xconfig would be nice too.

Thanks to all of you,

Leonid.
I dont read this newsgroup. So please send e-mail.
Thanks again.

2. Bootp Packet

3. XF2.1.1, CL5428 and xfig

4. updating system clock using network time server

5. how to use XF3.1 server with XF2.1.1

6. how to run a virtual host on a linux-standalone-system ?

7. XF2.1.1 to XF3.1: experience wanted

8. ethernet install problems

9. xfig and XF2.1 (bug in XF2.1)

10. Ghostview/Netscape causes X3.1.1 to FREEZE!!!!

11. SOLVED: linux 1.1.x & ATI MACH32 kernel freeze

12. strange freezes with KDE 1.1

13. Where do I get the latest kernels of linux (1.1.7x or 1.1.8x)?