Money, money, money

Money, money, money

Post by Yose Vil » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Oh, yes I am angry !
Today I got an look on serveral webpages to find software (sw) for
Linux and I was surprised how much some companies charge for there
Linux sw.

There was a guy in finland who started to develop a kernel for an OS.
Generous as he was, he offered his work to the internet community for
free. Then other generous people start to do some work and know we
have the great and wonderfull OS called LINUX.

Nowadays I see more an more companies which abuse of LINUX to make a
fortune. Normally I haven't a problem with commerce, but this
companies have gained from the effort of people in the internet and
for their products they charge $200 and more. This * suckers
even doesn't offer an discount or an special offer for home users or
at least for students.
Hey, if this companies want to foolish people, they should ride on the
microsoft train.
Commerce is o.k. if buisness users are charged for LINUX sw cause they
save or make money using this sw. But is it necessary to charge home
users or students $200+ dollars for an CDE ?
Where will be soon the difference between LINUX an the other
UNIX-systems ?
Well, also problematic for me are the different distributions.
Don't misunderstand me I haven't a problem with the LINUX
distributors like Red Hat as long the price is right. But I don't
like, when I see how more and more the difference is growning between
the several LINUX distributions. Maybe one day the LINUX will be no
more compatible to itself ? This wouldn't be the first time that such
things happen with a UNIX-system. Just have a look at the history of
the others. I think this wasn't the intention of ones who started with
this LINUX thing.
My suggest is to keep LINUX as wild and free as possible, so that this
OS can reach new frontiers and continues to be a attractive
alternative to others.
For the ones who want make money with LINUX sw: at least offer your
products for effortable prices (dicounts, special offers, free home
user versions) and pay on this way your tribute for the effort of the
LINUX community.

I would appreciate opions, critics and comments to my mail

(I beg your pardon for my english. Please keep in mind english is not
mother language)

Might linux be with you

We just want to have a good time with Linux

 
 
 

Money, money, money

Post by Michael C. Vergall » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00



>Oh, yes I am angry !
<Snip>

>Nowadays I see more an more companies which abuse of LINUX to make a
>fortune. Normally I haven't a problem with commerce, but this
>companies have gained from the effort of people in the internet and
>for their products they charge $200 and more. This * suckers
>even doesn't offer an discount or an special offer for home users or
>at least for students.

I think you are refering to some commercial apps wich run on Linux.
The problem with those apps is that due to their verry nature of being
commercial apps the company selling them can charge what they wan't..
That does not mean that you have to optain that package... I personaly only
own one package that is commercial and that is Motif for the rest I avoid
optaining commercial software ... I don't believe in paying for software
because I have a Leased-line so I ftp all the software I need and if I can't
find a package that fills my needs. I modify one that commes close.

<Snip>  

Quote:>Commerce is o.k. if buisness users are charged for LINUX sw cause they
>save or make money using this sw. But is it necessary to charge home
>users or students $200+ dollars for an CDE ?

The problem is that poeple can ask what they wan't. If you don't like the
cost some poeple want for something you are not obliged to purchase the
product...
<Snip>
Quote:>Well, also problematic for me are the different distributions.

Why ? The more distributions the better.. i.e no single vendor will have
the upper hand...
Quote:>Don't misunderstand me I haven't a problem with the LINUX
>distributors like Red Hat as long the price is right. But I don't
>like, when I see how more and more the difference is growning between
>the several LINUX distributions.
Why ... See above
>Maybe one day the LINUX will be no
>more compatible to itself ? This wouldn't be the first time that such
>things happen with a UNIX-system. Just have a look at the history of
>the others. I think this wasn't the intention of ones who started with
>this LINUX thing.

Wrong ... Linux is the kernel and it will always be ... You are confusing
a distribution with a kernel.. Yes Kernels change, but every vendor has to
contribute his kernel changes to the kernel maintainer and those are then
included in the next release of the kernel.
Quote:>My suggest is to keep LINUX as wild and free as possible, so that this
>OS can reach new frontiers and continues to be a attractive
>alternative to others.

It is and allways will be ...Read the GPL Licence + LGPL Licence ...

Quote:>For the ones who want make money with LINUX sw: at least offer your
>products for effortable prices (dicounts, special offers, free home
>user versions) and pay on this way your tribute for the effort of the
>LINUX community.

Some do and some don't if you have problems with some who charge to mush
then you don't have to purchase that package. If they charge $200 and you
need that package then you will either find the money or you will find a way
to obtain the package... Look it's basically "Put up or shut up" ...
i.e. you want that particular package then you pay for it if not you can leave
it alone..

--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.veryComputer.com/
B 9000 Gent                     ftp://ftp.double-barrel.be/pub/linux/
Belgium                         tel : 32-9-2227764 Fax : 32-9-2224976

 
 
 

Money, money, money

Post by Geoffrey Lea » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00



>Oh, yes I am angry !
>Today I got an look on serveral webpages to find software (sw) for
>Linux and I was surprised how much some companies charge for there
>Linux sw.
>There was a guy in finland who started to develop a kernel for an OS.
>Generous as he was, he offered his work to the internet community for
>free. Then other generous people start to do some work and know we
>have the great and wonderfull OS called LINUX.
>Nowadays I see more an more companies which abuse of LINUX to make a
>fortune. Normally I haven't a problem with commerce, but this
>companies have gained from the effort of people in the internet and
>for their products they charge $200 and more. This * suckers
>even doesn't offer an discount or an special offer for home users or
>at least for students.

[snip]

Hmmm, you really are on a tight budget.  You don't say which vendor(s)
so arroused your ire, but your mention of CDE suggests Caldera,
at least.

You should know that CDE is not a part of Linux.  It is a commercial
product from OSF.  As such, its a steal at $200
not to mention that you get the rest of the OS as well.

If you want Linux, I've seen a RedHat clone CD for $1.98.
Skip lunch and treat yourself.

 
 
 

1. money money money.

Just from  home  you could make a fortune just click  on  this
http://www.skynary.com/al-sraj/ and follow  the steps to join now. thank i
have  received 3 cheques already in us dollars. it works now my sisters
will  receive a cheque next  week.

2. Compiling Red Hat 5.0 kernel

3. : mo buishet "MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY"

4. XF86 Question

5. MONEY TO PAY YOUR DEBTS - money.txt (2/2)

6. Solaris 10 x86 won't install on a real PC

7. IBM's double Digit Profits - WE ARE MONEY WE ARE MONEY!!!

8. GTK+

9. ****MONEY MONEY***

10. money-manager like **-Money

11. MONEY TO PAY YOUR DEBTS - money.txt (1/2)

12. ****MONEY MONEY****

13. MONEY TO PAY ALL YOUR DEBTS - money.txt (2/2)