XDM Setup/Configuration information needed.

XDM Setup/Configuration information needed.

Post by Kent Berr » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have been looking on the net and in documentation for
instruction on how to setup xdm and can't find any. Please
direct me to some documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Kent Berry
Auburn, WA

Post by Kent Berr » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> |> I have been looking on the net and in documentation for
> |> instruction on how to setup xdm and can't find any. Please
> |> direct me to some documentation.

>         Try "man xdm".
> Thanks for the suggestion.

I've looked at the man pages however they don't discuss how to
implement xdm. Where it should be started from?  I got one hint
from another post and put it in "rc.local".  But when I exit a fvwm
session the screen goes black and I have to reboot to get a login
screen again.

Almost there,

Kent
Auburn, WA

Post by Michael Nels » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|> I have been looking on the net and in documentation for
|> instruction on how to setup xdm and can't find any. Please
|> direct me to some documentation.

        Try "man xdm".

        Michael

--

San Francisco, CA

XDM Setup/Configuration information needed.

: >

:
: I've looked at the man pages however they don't discuss how to
: implement xdm. Where it should be started from?  I got one hint
: from another post and put it in "rc.local".  But when I exit a fvwm
: session the screen goes black and I have to reboot to get a login
: screen again.

        First off, I wouldn't start xdm, or XWindows from rc.local. It'll run
in the foreground, and as root. BIG security risk. If you're using Slackware
3.0 or RedHat 2.1 or higher, first take a look at /etc/rc.d/rc.4. At boot
time, if you set your init level to 4 in /etc/inittab, it will source rc.4,
and run xdm with the -nodaemon flag. Then you'll get your login prompt, and
start FVWM. when you exit fvwm, it will return to the login prompt. You'll
still be able to access your virtual consoles by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F3 through
Ctrl-Alt-F6. There's no need to start it in rc.local, since there is its own
script to start xdm by itself.

        Now for more documentation for XDM, there is, of course, the man pages
for it, and for X, but the best documentation I've seen is the X Window Systems
Administration Guide by O'Reilly and Associates. VERY GOOD BOOK! I used it to
turn ordinary linux boxes running xdm standalone, into dummy Xterminals using
XDMCP, logging straight into a DEC Alpha 2100. The book is VERY good. You
should find it at any major bookstore like Barnes & Nobles, Borders, or you
could order it straight from O'Reilly. Check out http://www.ora.com/ for more
details.

                                                        BL.

XDM Setup/Configuration information needed.

Post by TS Ful » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        I recently purchased a Trident video card using the TVGA9440AGI
chipset, unfortunately, I have not the feintest idea of how to get this thing
to work with X. I just recently got rid of my Stealth 32 (Diamond) card, in favour of a PCI board to jive with m
y new PCI motherboard, and after all the hassles I went through to just get a picture in X with the Diamond card, I am hoping (desperately) to not have to go trhough the same mess to play with this card.

        If anyone has managed to successfully navigate this cunondrum, please let me know.... I am using a friends account to post this, because my NNTP server has been down for quite some time, and I do not really see them fixing it in the near future, so pleas

e direct all responses to this to me at the following address:

        Thanks for any help you can offer....

        -Kris Traenkner
         Dept. of Education
         Kent State University