can virtual screen size track with resolution?

can virtual screen size track with resolution?

Post by Kenny M » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

So to the best of my knowledge, if it is not specifically specified,
the virtual screen size is set to the highest resolution that
is supported in that color depth. So if my video card and monitor
can do 1024x768 and 1280x1024 in 8 bit color, the virtual
screen size will be set to 1280x1024.

Is there a way to make the virtual screen size track with the
resolution as I change video modes on the fly (ctrl,alt,keypad+)?

Thanks for any help,

km

can virtual screen size track with resolution?

Post by Gizm » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> So to the best of my knowledge, if it is not specifically specified,
> the virtual screen size is set to the highest resolution that
> is supported in that color depth. So if my video card and monitor
> can do 1024x768 and 1280x1024 in 8 bit color, the virtual
> screen size will be set to 1280x1024.
> Is there a way to make the virtual screen size track with the
> resolution as I change video modes on the fly (ctrl,alt,keypad+)?

No, this is not possible - the X server wants the virtual screen size to stay
exactly the same throughout the lifetime of a server, presumably so that the
amount of video card memory that gets allocated to the framebuffer (as opposed
to font cache, pixmap cache, etc.) stays constant.  So, you can change what
part of the virtual screen gets displayed, but not the size of the screen
itself.  This is also the reason why you can't change color depth on the fly.