X freezes and X takes lots of CPU

Post by jon wrigh » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:33:12

I recently installed redhat 8.0 on two machines. on one it works fine,
and on the other i have problems with X.
1) If i run top, X shows up as using 99% of cpu.  if i set renice to 0,
and run another process, X takes 50% of the time.
2) It sometimes freezes the entire machine locally (I can still login
remotely).  I can make it freeze repeatedly with ctrl-alt-F1,
that is an attempt to bring up a virtual terminal.  it doesn't
seem to freeze up if i have very recently started the X server.
also I don't think that it takes as much cpu resources when the
Xserver has just been restarted.
i have swapped video cards, memory and ethernet card and sound card.

i have a ati rage 128 video card. a athalon XP2100 cpu
and a ecs k7s5a motherboard on the machine that misbehaves.
(the other one is different)
i suspect some configuration problem.  how do i stopo X from
gpbbling up cpu cycles to start?

Post by Steve Marti » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 20:55:19

> i have a ati rage 128 video card. a athalon XP2100 cpu

I had similar things happening to me with my system here
(Tyan mobo, dual Athlon XP 1700's, and until recently an
ATI Radeon). I suspect you're having an interaction problem
between the mobo chipset and the ATI card. In my case, I
also had X freezing and pulling almost 100% CPU as shown
by logging in from the network and running "top".

I never was able to cure it, but it hasn't happened since
I pulled the Radeon and put in a Matrox G550. I can report
that it seemed in this case to be related to DRI acceleration;
it never happened to me with DRI disabled.

--
Steve Martin, CPBE CBNT

X freezes and X takes lots of CPU

Post by Marc Brevoo » Sun, 10 Nov 2002 01:04:52

Quote:> In my case, I
> also had X freezing and pulling almost 100% CPU as shown
> by logging in from the network and running "top".

Hey that sounds exactly like what I'm having here. And in fact
its an ATI too here...

Quote:> I never was able to cure it, but it hasn't happened since
> I pulled the Radeon and put in a Matrox G550. I can report
> that it seemed in this case to be related to DRI acceleration;
> it never happened to me with DRI disabled.

Any clues on how disable DRI then?

Regards,

Marc Brevoort