XF86 3.3.6 Millennium 320x200 resolution always!

XF86 3.3.6 Millennium 320x200 resolution always!

Post by Mathew Lodg » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a HP Vectra Xu 6/200 with a Matrox Millennium I (2MB) video card,
running RedHat 5.2 and XFree86 3.3.6.

When I start X, I always get 320x200 resolution and the Ctrl-Alt-<+>
combination does not allow me to change resolutions.

I have tried running both XF86Setup and Xconfigurator, and endless
editing of the XF86Config file. I've tried just about everything. About
the only different behaviour I can get is setting the virtual display
size to be greater than 320x200, which totally screws up the display --
but still at a resolution of 320x200, of course.

The problem *seems* to be that XF86_SVGA can't detect my video card. The
messages I get at start-up look like this:

(--) SVGA: chipset: generic
(**) SVGA: videoram: 2048k
(--) SVGA: clocks: 25.18
(**) SVGA: using 8bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
(--) SVGA: using builtin driver modes
(--) SVGA: Builtin Mode: 320x200

I have tried setting DefaultColorDepth to be anything other than 16 or
24, but I then get an error message about the driver not supporting
anything other than 8bpp...

Oh, and finally, xvidtune just core dumps with a floating point
exception. I guess it doesn't like being run in 320x200...

Help! I am at my wits end with this...

Thanx in advance,

Mathew
(Remove the obvious spam deflector to reply)

1. Repost: Always 320x200 on Matrox Millennium

I have a HP Vectra Xu 6/200 with a Matrox Millennium I (2MB) video card,
running RedHat 5.2 and XFree86 3.3.5.

[...]

SuperProbe correctly finds and identifies the card using PCI probe as
Matrox Millennium with TI RAMDAC

Help! I am at my wits end with this...

Thanx in advance,

Mathew

2. convert unix partition back to Apple HFS?

3. XFree86 Always in 320x200 Mode

4. Changing Finger name under 2.5

5. mach64 driver, always at 320x200?

6. xdm...WindowMaker...

7. xf86 3.3.2 & Matrox G200 only does 320x200

8. Change current dtterm title

9. 320x200 only x mode??? XF86 config problems

10. Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

11. XF86 defaulting to 320x200

12. Can XF86 do better than 320x200 for "generic SVGA" card ?

13. XF86, HP1097C Fixed Freq monitor + 320x200 res?