Diamond Stealth 64 dot-clocks found in windows not XF3.1.1

Diamond Stealth 64 dot-clocks found in windows not XF3.1.1

Post by Vince Talusk » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Diamond Stealth 64dram (2MB) card hooked up to an cheapo SVGA
monitor.  I can run this configuration at 1024x768 interlaced using
windows 3.1 - but I cannot get the card to drive the monitor at
1024x768 interlaced using XFree (3.1.1) unless I first boot up windows
and the warm-boot the system into linux -- otherwise it drops down to
800x600.

The debug information that XFree spews out as starts indicates that it
can't find a proper dot-clock to support 1024x768 - but once I warm
boot into linux from windows -- then it does find the right dot clock.
Attempting to set the Clocks line of the XFConfig file to the the
dot-clock that XF said it was using (from the debug info) when it was
working at 1024x768 results in an unreadable skewed display.  Looks
like it doesn't quite sync up right.

I used to be able to run at 1024x768 using my OLD trident card -
without problems.

I would blame the cheapo monitor -- but I know that if I warm boot
from windows it will work properly - so I figure that the diamond
windows drivers are initallizing the card in some way that Xfree
doesn't know about.

Can someone point me to a utility program that I can use to probe the
card a bit more effectively to set(find) the right dot-clocks ?

Thanks in Advance!

Vince

--
Vince Taluskie

UNIX Systems Administration   http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~taluskie/home.html

 "Be careful lest in casting out the devils you cast out the best thing
                           that's in you"  --Nietzsche

Post by Richard Winte » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

(Vince Taluskie) writes:
> Hi,

> I have a Diamond Stealth 64dram (2MB) card....

> The debug information that XFree spews out as starts indicates that it
> can't find a proper dot-clock to support 1024x768...

> Thanks in Advance!

> Vince

> --
> Vince Taluskie

> UNIX Systems Administration   http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~taluskie/home.html

>  "Be careful lest in casting out the devils you cast out the best thing
>                            that's in you"  --Nietzsche

I have exactly the same card. In my config file I have set it up with a
programmable clock and not specified anything at all in the clocks line and
mine works fine at this resolution. I'll mail you a copy of the XF86Config
file that I use if you like.

--
Richard

Post by Vince Talusk » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>(Vince Taluskie) writes:
>> I have a Diamond Stealth 64dram (2MB) card....

>> The debug information that XFree spews out as starts indicates that it
>> can't find a proper dot-clock to support 1024x768...

>I have exactly the same card. In my config file I have set it up with a
>programmable clock and not specified anything at all in the clocks line and
>mine works fine at this resolution. I'll mail you a copy of the XF86Config
>file that I use if you like.

I received some information from Jim Lum (who got some hints from
another kind soul out there).  Adding the line

Clockchip "s3_sdac"

to my XFConfig file - got things working at 1024x768 nicely without
needing to use windows first.

Thanks to everyone offering help on this one,

Vince
--
Vince Taluskie

UNIX Systems Administration   http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~taluskie/home.html

 "Be careful lest in casting out the devils you cast out the best thing
                           that's in you"  --Nietzsche

Diamond Stealth 64 dot-clocks found in windows not XF3.1.1

Post by Onno Ro » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

For Interlaced modes there should be an option in your mode-line "Interlace"
Look in Xconfig files for Trident cards. The dotclock for 1024x768 should be
45 Mhz. (You should be able to use a mode-line from another Xconfig)

Now the interesting thing: does the S3 764/864/964 driver support
interlaced modes . For chipset S3-964 interlaced mode is not supported!
But maybe if the bios is initialized that way Xfree uses the settings!

Onno.

1. XFree3.1.1 on Diamond Stealth 64

I am currently running XFree86 V 3.1.1 using a Diamond Stealth 64(PCI) 2MB VRAM

The chipset in XF86Config is set to "bt485" Brooktree and the RAM DAC is set to

"s3_dac". The configuration works ok if I run windows, exit out and warm boot in

to linux. The 800x600 resolution flickers though. I think X windows is not setting up the clocks correctly on my card. Whenever I cold boot into linux, the screen flickers and I can only get one mode.

Do I have the wrong Chipset or RAMDAC settings?

I think windows sets the clocks up correcly then when I boot into linux, X windows messes up the 800x600 mode.

Thanks for the help in advance

2. ignoring keystrokes

3. Setting up Diamond Stealth 64 Video (2MB VRAM) under XF3.1.2.

4. > 64 pseudo tty's

5. Stealth 64 VRAM, high dot clocks

6. how to make router

7. Stealth 64 dot-clock

8. XDMCP: Session failed: Cannot open display

9. Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM & blue dots

10. Diamond Stealth 3000 Dot Clocks

11. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM and X-windows

12. X-Windows & Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM Problem!!!

13. Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM w/Trio 64