Linux hangs with cron

Post by dongdal.. » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Maybe you can give me a hint (Suse 7.0, PII, 256MB, lots of GB disk but
almost full, 9% free on /, but no problems experiences so far, except
..): For some days I have been working until after midnight. At midnight
cron starts some jobs. My disk rattles for some time. Task Manager (KDE)
reports a find and sort process (user nobody -> could be updatedb) and
Xosview shows 100% CPU usage, mainly by a NICE job. (??, I've never seen
this before. Normally jobs are USR or SYS.)

After that the system (or at least X/KDE) hangs. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to
shutdown X/KDE does not work either. Once I was able to shutdown X/KDE
by hand, but then the system crashes (segmentation fault, or something
like 'cannot resolve page') while shutting down. I've tried to provoke
the problem by calling all cron jobs I've found (/etc/crontab,
/etc/cron.daily/*) manually. This time the system remained stable.

Could this be related to disk almost full? All kind of hints are
welcome. Thanks!

Dong Dallas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux hangs with cron

Post by D. Stimit » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Maybe you can give me a hint (Suse 7.0, PII, 256MB, lots of GB disk but
> almost full, 9% free on /, but no problems experiences so far, except
> ..): For some days I have been working until after midnight. At midnight
> cron starts some jobs. My disk rattles for some time. Task Manager (KDE)
> reports a find and sort process (user nobody -> could be updatedb) and
> Xosview shows 100% CPU usage, mainly by a NICE job. (??, I've never seen
> this before. Normally jobs are USR or SYS.)

> After that the system (or at least X/KDE) hangs. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to
> shutdown X/KDE does not work either. Once I was able to shutdown X/KDE
> by hand, but then the system crashes (segmentation fault, or something
> like 'cannot resolve page') while shutting down. I've tried to provoke
> the problem by calling all cron jobs I've found (/etc/crontab,
> /etc/cron.daily/*) manually. This time the system remained stable.

> Could this be related to disk almost full? All kind of hints are
> welcome. Thanks!

> Dong Dallas

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

It could be. If you run out of physical ram, and swap is insufficient,
either apps must die or the system will die. It is possible the cron
jobs are using up your swap space. I'm far from positive, but the error
about inability to resolve page sounds like it ran out of address pages
(the page table).

1. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management

Hi All

I  can not  seem to be able to  make these files  work. Despite  an
entry  in  cron.deny  file,  the  specific user  can use
the crontab  command  to  submit  a  job  to  cron and  the  job
does  gets  executed.
Crontab  command  is  supposed  to check  entries  in these  files.
Ido not think  this is  happening.

Any  idea  will  be  greatly  appreciated.
Please  send  me an e-mail.

Thanks

2. Trident 9440 xf86config file

3. cron job makes my computer hang

4. Security issues Frontpage 4.0 Extensions on Apache 1.3?

5. cron hanging

6. Where can I find ActiveScripting's OpenASP DSO?

7. How to eject ?

8. cron script hangs after a while (seems to)

9. Solaris 2.5.1 - Funny problem with cron and a hung NFS server

10. Ultra10 hangs when running ssh2 from cron

11. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

12. cron and visual cron