Diamond Stealth64 2MB DRAM video card

Post by Tom Krus » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone had any success configuring X for the Diamond Stealth64 2MB
DRAM video card (2001 Series)?  I tried for two days using various
combinations of the S3 chip set which a FAQ somewhere indicated might
work, but had no luck.  I've noticed several others in similar
situations posting.  If someone could post or email me the correct
procedure, I (and it seems many others) would be very grateful.

Desperately,

Tom Krusz

Diamond Stealth64 2MB DRAM video card

Post by timothy reave » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I've posted the proper XF86Config file for this a couple of times. Unfortunatly

I'll get it out to you.

Post by Desmond A. Kirkpatri » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

   I've posted the proper XF86Config file for this a couple of times. Unfortunatly

   I'll get it out to you.

   >Has anyone had any success configuring X for the Diamond Stealth64 2MB
   >DRAM video card (2001 Series)?  I tried for two days using various
   >combinations of the S3 chip set which a FAQ somewhere indicated might
   >work, but had no luck.  I've noticed several others in similar
   >situations posting.  If someone could post or email me the correct
   >procedure, I (and it seems many others) would be very grateful.
   >
   >Desperately,
   >
   >Tom Krusz

Are you sure the Diamond Stealth 64 Series 2001 is even an S3 based
design?  We pulled the card out of a Micron box the other day and it
has this Ark 2000 controller chip on it.  No S3 markings anywhere.
The S3 server recognizes _nothing_ on the card (no configured devices
found).  This is a _brand-new_ card (the press release for it on
Diamond's Web site is August 24).  Check out www.diamondmm.com.

If you're ordering a new machine and it says 'Diamond Stealth 64
DRAM', take care to make sure you're really getting an S3-based card.
Caveat emptor.

--

UC Berkeley CAD group

Post by David Daw » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>   I've posted the proper XF86Config file for this a couple of times. Unfortunatly

>   I'll get it out to you.

>   >Has anyone had any success configuring X for the Diamond Stealth64 2MB
>   >DRAM video card (2001 Series)?  I tried for two days using various
>   >combinations of the S3 chip set which a FAQ somewhere indicated might
>   >work, but had no luck.  I've noticed several others in similar
>   >situations posting.  If someone could post or email me the correct
>   >procedure, I (and it seems many others) would be very grateful.

>   >Desperately,

>   >Tom Krusz

>Are you sure the Diamond Stealth 64 Series 2001 is even an S3 based
>design?  We pulled the card out of a Micron box the other day and it
>has this Ark 2000 controller chip on it.  No S3 markings anywhere.
>The S3 server recognizes _nothing_ on the card (no configured devices
>found).  This is a _brand-new_ card (the press release for it on
>Diamond's Web site is August 24).  Check out www.diamondmm.com.

>If you're ordering a new machine and it says 'Diamond Stealth 64
>DRAM', take care to make sure you're really getting an S3-based card.
>Caveat emptor.

Be careful when referring to "Diamond Stealth 64 Series 2001" because
there are two "Stealth 64 2001" cards.  According to Diamond's web
site, the "Stealth64 Graphics 2001" uses the ARK 2000PV, and the
"Stealth64 Video 2001" uses the S3 Trio64V+.  Both are DRAM cards.
Vendor's naming schemes can be quite confusing when it comes to
determining what chipset is being used.  You really have to check
explicitly for each subtly different card model, and you have to be
precise about the model name.  It is worth checking the vendor's Web
site (most of the major graphics card vendors have Web sites now).

David

 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia   | Fax:   +61 2 660 2903
You came along for a weekend, but you only stayed for one night.
You took off your hair, you pulled out your teeth.  I almost died of fright.
    -- Deep Purple "Living Wreck"

1. Diamond Stealth64 2201XL /w 2MB DRAM and XFree86?

        I'm considering purchasing a Diamond Stealth64 2201XL with 2MB of DRAM.
        According to Diamond's web site, this card is based on the S3 TrioV+
        (765) chipset.  This chipset is NOT among the ones listed in the
        README.S3 file bundled in the XFree86 3.2 distribution.  (The list
        stops at Trio 764 ... so I'm thinking this README file was written
        before the Trio 765 came out ... hopefully the S3 chips are backwards
        compatible ...).

        I'm wondering if anybody has had any success using this card with
        XFree86?  My primary purpose in upgrading my current video system is to
        get a greater color depth at a higher pixel resolution (right now I'm
        stuck at 800x600 at 8bpp).  So I want to get at least 16bpp at
        1024x768.  Can you obtain this resolution with XFree86 using this card?
        How about higher?  (According to Diamond's web site, this card can go
        up to 1280x1024 at 8bpp).

        Also ... this card has the option of adding a TV tuner card to it.  Is
        there support for this thing under Linux?  Would be nice to watch TV on
        my X desktop.  And it also has support for some sort of MPEG upgrade
        daughter-card.  Is there Linux support for this thing as well?

        Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Undergraduate Computer Science Major/Linux Enthusiast/Competitive Bodybuilder

WWW:    Not available yet -- still looking for free webspace!

"Bare feet magnetize sharp metal objects so they point upward from the floor,
 especially in the dark."

2. SPARC experiences

3. Running X with a Diamond Stealth64 2MB DRAM ?

4. trouble with freebsd ports

5. Diamond Stealth64 PCI 2MB DRAM

6. Help with quarter inch cartridge drives

7. Need config files for Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2MB DRam PCI

8. Has anyone got the SLS to install on a PS/1?

9. diamond 2001 video (dram 2mb) trouble

10. Video card for Linux: Diamond Stealth Video 64 DRAM?

11. ATI Graphics Xpression 2MB DRAM Video card & X?

12. Diamond Stealth64 2201TV video card

13. Help - Video Card Problem (Diamond Stealth 64 dram)