March 97 Byte RedHat Screenshot

Post by skul.. » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

In the March 97 issue Byte article "Linux in a Gray Flannel Suit" there's a
screenshot supposedly of RedHat's Applixware (also available at
http://www.byte.com/art/9703/img/037f1a0.htm).  It looks to me like a
screenshot of HP-UX's window manager.  Is there a Linux window manager
available w/ that interface or did someone get their pictures confused?

Scott Kullen

Post by Keith E. Moo » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>In the March 97 issue Byte article "Linux in a Gray Flannel Suit" there's a
>screenshot supposedly of RedHat's Applixware (also available at
>http://www.byte.com/art/9703/img/037f1a0.htm).  It looks to me like a
>screenshot of HP-UX's window manager.  Is there a Linux window manager
>available w/ that interface or did someone get their pictures confused?

Looks like the CDE (I use HP-VUE every day, it's definately not VUE, but
the CDE is based on VUE).  I don't believe RedHat sells the CDE directly,
but it is definately available for Linux, at least from WGS (which uses
RedHat as their base).

I have seen the CDE on a Sun Enterprise 4000, and it looks alot like what
is shown in the Picture, so I would just guest that it is the CDE.  However
I don't understand why it shows up with Applix.

--
-- Keith Moore
   President

--
/*----C/C++--Java--VB--Pro*C--SQL--OCI--Java--Delphi--ODBC--COBOL-----*
 *        When the project must be saved at all costs:                *

see: http://www.xinside.com/

-- hint:  my last name is my first name :-) -----------------

Post by Scott Gibso » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > >In the March 97 issue Byte article "Linux in a Gray Flannel Suit" there's a
> > >screenshot supposedly of RedHat's Applixware (also available at
> > >http://www.byte.com/art/9703/img/037f1a0.htm).  It looks to me like a
> > >screenshot of HP-UX's window manager.  Is there a Linux window manager
> > >available w/ that interface or did someone get their pictures confused?

> > Looks like the CDE (I use HP-VUE every day, it's definately not VUE, but
> > the CDE is based on VUE).  I don't believe RedHat sells the CDE directly,
> > but it is definately available for Linux, at least from WGS (which uses
> > RedHat as their base).

> see: http://www.xinside.com/

> -- hint:  my last name is my first name :-) -----------------

I was at the Linux Expo and Red Hat was demonstrating their new CDE that
will be coming out soon (a month?)  The screen shot you saw is their CDE
with MOTIF.  The CDE will run on Linux and not just Red Hat Linux.  It
was pretty cool, that is if you would want a CDE.

Scott Gibson

1. Computer Shopper Issue 97 March 96

I wouldn't mind discussing an article in the above magazine (Note the lack
of cross-posts).

The article in question is on page 627, and is basically about "Why NT will
replace UNIX is a server OS".

I would now like to quote directly from the article:

"Unix still leads the way in terms of server operating systems. But it is
very much under attack from al sides. Corporates are now moving to Windows
NT for a variety of reasons. Many think it has had time to settle down now,
other see that it supports multiple hardware platforms without having the
inherent complexities of Unix. But Unix has a track record and even the most
compelling reasoning will not cause some to move away from it. This is
similar to people who won't upgrade from Dos to Windows, or Windows 3 to
Windows 95."

Okay, so Unix is under attack from all sides - by one system?

NT - okay Unix, come out - I've got you surrounded (!).

Most compelling reasoning? The only one given here is a weak mumble about
hardware and complexity.

I may be picking this up entirely wrong, but is the a suggestion that
comparing Unix to NT is the same as "Dos to Windows" or "Windows 3 to
Windows 95".

Bear in mind, this is the magazine which (about two months ago) recommended
that a required Marine Artist needed a P75 running win95 with 16Mb to view
pictures and write letters.

Any takers?

John
--

               Just say GNU!

2. Digital UNIX Admin contract

3. Intel Mobo Integrated AC'97 Audio Possible w/RedHat???

4. DNS and rlogin , telnet

5. ac'97 sound with redhat 7.2

6. Diamond Stealth 64 2 mg dram card

7. AC'97 sound chips on board - no sound in RedHat 7.0

8. Reboot problems on a 386DX40

9. Redhat 9 with Intel Corp.|82801EB AC'97 Audio / SOUNDMAX Sound card

10. AC'97 sound under RedHat 7.2 - again...

11. On K7, -march=k6 is good (Was Re: Why no -march=athlon?)

12. Can't add screenshot plugin to RPM GIMP in redhat 5

13. REDHAT 5.2 Screenshot