return of XF86Config

Post by Scott Caloni » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

First of all, I'd like to say thanks to everyone in the group. I've had a
lot of helpful answers to my questions.

Okay, here's the deal. I have a P9100 chipset which is unsupported by
Linux. But, I got it to run with the VGA16 server. But it will only run
Netscape in Mono, so I went to that server.

Anyway, so I've been messing with the SVGA server. I found that I could run
my P9100 fine in VGA16 with the tvga9000 chipset. When I changed over to
the SVGA server and the "mx" chip, X ran as well.

Except that it wouldn't run above 640x480 and that, when it did, the
screen was all slanted. Like I would have 3 virtual window managers on
one screen and I think the refresh rates were messed up.

I tried different clock sets to no avail. I was just wondering if anybody
knew anything I could do to help this. I know I'll probably just have to
bite the bullet at some point and get a new card. But I didn't think
I could ever get Xwin to run and I found a way around that.

I also tried adjusting the Virtual line, too. I'm pretty sure I have
my monitor timings set right.

Thanks for you time.

Scott

return of XF86Config

Post by Ruud Schram » Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:00

from your description it seems to me that P9100 and P9000 are compatible
except for the dot clock programming. I had the same problem with the SiS
6205, only lately the dot clock programming has been accomplished in
XFree86, before that time the maximum resolution was 640*480

Now find someone who canm program the clocks :)

good luck

Ruud

Quote:> Except that it wouldn't run above 640x480 and that, when it did, the
> screen was all slanted. Like I would have 3 virtual window managers on
> one screen and I think the refresh rates were messed up.

> I tried different clock sets to no avail. I was just wondering if anybody
> knew anything I could do to help this. I know I'll probably just have to
> bite the bullet at some point and get a new card. But I didn't think
> I could ever get Xwin to run and I found a way around that.

> I also tried adjusting the Virtual line, too. I'm pretty sure I have
> my monitor timings set right.

1. Library function to return XF86Config options used

What C library function(s) are there to find out which options from the
XF86Config file were used by XFree86 (4.0.1) at startup? Specifically, I
want to find out in a program which ServerLayout section was used. This
could either have been the default (first entry) or the one specified on
the command line with the -layout option.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Quest for libXm.a

3. The return of the return of crunch time (2.5 merge candidate list 1.6)

4. XFREE ? Chips & Tech LCD setup

5. Problem: Command substitution adds an extra carriage return character on return.

6. FORKING PROCESSES

7. pf and return-rst & return-icmp Huh?

8. ne.o needs PCIBIOS ???

9. Select returns data available read returns no data

10. KernelJanitor: Convert remaining error returns to return -E Linux 2.5.68

11. When do read() return 0 despite that select() returned 1

12. Help: Returning a return code to a program

13. Change "return EBLAH" to "return -EBLAH in drivers/*