Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by James O. Smit » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I've currently got linux set up to boot from the same machine as Win95.
I've found myself spending most of my time in linux so I've decided to
set linux up on a dedicated machine of its own. The current Win95
machine has a Matrox G200 which handles X-windows with good speed. I'd
like to leave this card in the windows machine since it does 3d and I
have not seen any need for 3d support in linux, but I don't want to slow
X down any.
I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
a faster card than either of these for X?

I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
the best video card I can give it.:)

I know I could try both and see, but I thought I'd post here before
doing that to see if anyone has any experience with both cards(Or any
card that is faster under X).  I'd appreciate any info anyone would be
kind enough to share.

Thanks
Jim Smith

Post by James A. Clelan » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
> my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
> a faster card than either of these for X?

> I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
> the best video card I can give it.:)

If you are using XFree86, they claim that the MGA support in their SVGA
makes it one of the best accelerated servers they distribute. I would have
to agree there as I had an MGA card (Matrox Millennium II PCI) and saw
excellent performance with the SVGA server. I have not tried XF86 3.3.3
with my G200 AGP as I am using Accelerated-X now, but if your concern is
about the performance of the PCI MGA card, I would have to say, don't worry
about it, it will scream.

James

Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by Frank Pikelne » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Are there any issues with purchasing an OEM G200 versus a Millenium G200? I
realise the difference between SDRAM vs. SGRAM and 220MHz vs. 250MHz RAMDAC.
I'm more interested in the stability and the ability to run 1024x768 and
1280x1024.

Thanks,

Frank Pikelner

> > I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
> > my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
> > a faster card than either of these for X?

> > I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
> > the best video card I can give it.:)

> If you are using XFree86, they claim that the MGA support in their SVGA
> makes it one of the best accelerated servers they distribute. I would have
> to agree there as I had an MGA card (Matrox Millennium II PCI) and saw
> excellent performance with the SVGA server. I have not tried XF86 3.3.3
> with my G200 AGP as I am using Accelerated-X now, but if your concern is
> about the performance of the PCI MGA card, I would have to say, don't worry
> about it, it will scream.

> James

Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by James A. Clelan » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hmm, I can't help you out there. I didn't know the RAMDACs were different on the
OEM models. They have a 220MHz RAMDAC? Weak.

> Are there any issues with purchasing an OEM G200 versus a Millenium G200? I
> realise the difference between SDRAM vs. SGRAM and 220MHz vs. 250MHz RAMDAC.
> I'm more interested in the stability and the ability to run 1024x768 and
> 1280x1024.

> Thanks,

> Frank Pikelner

> > > I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
> > > my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
> > > a faster card than either of these for X?

> > > I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
> > > the best video card I can give it.:)

> > If you are using XFree86, they claim that the MGA support in their SVGA
> > makes it one of the best accelerated servers they distribute. I would have
> > to agree there as I had an MGA card (Matrox Millennium II PCI) and saw
> > excellent performance with the SVGA server. I have not tried XF86 3.3.3
> > with my G200 AGP as I am using Accelerated-X now, but if your concern is
> > about the performance of the PCI MGA card, I would have to say, don't worry
> > about it, it will scream.

> > James

Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by James A. Clelan » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Damn! I missed an opportunity to plug XiG! Yeah, if you can, definately hook
yourself up with AX. I have been using the 4.1.2 version for Linux with great
results. It's MUCH quicker than XFree86, and from the looks of the 5.0 beta,
things are going to be even more efficient in a month or so.

The install is totally painless, too. I would make ONE suggestion, however. If
you already have an installed X11R6 environment and you end up purchasing the
4.1.x server, just install the server. I installed the whole thing and got some
strange results with my XTerms when viewing bold text (man pages). The text
wasn't bold, but black, and I use dark term backgrounds which made the bold
stuff unreadable. Also, the xterm program that comes with AX 4.1.2 doesn't
support color (ls --color), so I just went back, reinstalled X11, then
reinstalled just the AX server. Things were fine.

Note, this is only for the 4.1.x versions as I hear newer versions ship with
X11R6.4 and should be safe for a full install without losing your xterm's color
capability.

Giddyup,
James

> One possible problem is that the X servers you are using is basicly the same
> for both cards.  Xi Graphics supports both the Millennium II pci and the
> G200.  From the bench marking we have done with our server.  There is about
> a 10 X mark difference between the cards.  MMII being 29 X marks and G200
> being 41 X marks.  The bench marks were done running our Accelerated-X
> Display Server.  We have a free demo for testing it is located at:
> http://www.xig.com/support/demo2.html

> Install and setup take about 5 minutes.  This is good way of get the full
> performance of your graphics card and window manager.

> If you have any questions please contact me.

> Kyle

Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by Laurent PELLISSI » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> If you are using XFree86, they claim that the MGA support in their SVGA
> makes it one of the best accelerated servers they distribute.

    It seems to be completly true. I have tested XFree 3.3.3 with both
G100 AGP and Millenium I PCI and the last one is amazingly faster than
the G100. So for 2D work the Millenium is still a must have for those
who are using XFree.

--

Matrox G200 vs Matrox Mil II pci

Post by Peter Edd » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've upgraded from a Millenium I, PCI to a G200 and I was able to use
the same XF86Config file for both cards (though eventually I did
regenerate XF86Config for the G200 anyway) without any modification so
it'll probably be easy to try.  I don't have Windows and so can't
compare the G200 in the two environments.

Peter

> Hi
> I've currently got linux set up to boot from the same machine as Win95.
> I've found myself spending most of my time in linux so I've decided to
> set linux up on a dedicated machine of its own. The current Win95
> machine has a Matrox G200 which handles X-windows with good speed. I'd
> like to leave this card in the windows machine since it does 3d and I
> have not seen any need for 3d support in linux, but I don't want to slow
> X down any.
> I have a Matrox Millenium II pci card available. I'd like to use it in
> my linux only box. Is it just as fast in X-windows as the G200? Is there
> a faster card than either of these for X?

> I'd like the X stuff to run as fast as possible. WindowMaker deserves
> the best video card I can give it.:)

> I know I could try both and see, but I thought I'd post here before
> doing that to see if anyone has any experience with both cards(Or any
> card that is faster under X).  I'd appreciate any info anyone would be
> kind enough to share.

> Thanks
> Jim Smith

1. Matrox Mil-II and Matrox-M3d under X

Greets People,

I am thinking of upgrading my system (K6-200,32MB) with a Matrox
Millenium-II and the M3d daughter card. Does anybody know if this
combination will work under Linux. I will be running Slakware(3.4) and
Xfree 3.3.1, I am not interested in 3D under Linux but would like hot 3d
graphics in doze and hot 2d overall. Somebody else suggested that a
2d/3d card such as the ATI Rage Pro might be better suited to my needs.

Any comments or experience would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance
Peewee,
--
+                              Peter Butler +           ___  ____
_ __  +
|          Year 4, BSc Software Engineering |   ___ ___/ _ \/ / /___
(_) /  |
| DeMontfort University, Leicester, England |  (_-</ -_)_, /_  _/ _ \  /
/ _ \ |

/_.__/ |
+   WWW : http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~se94pjb +                 /_/
|___/       +

2. Multiple POP3 Account Checking

3. Diamond Stealth II G460 & Matrox Millinnium G200 or Mystique G200 drivers

4. IPTABLES-mangles-2.4.14-kernel

5. Xwindows for Matrox Mil. II?

6. Solaris 2.4 X86 Crashes After/During PPP Connect

7. Matrox Mil II AGP patch for v2.6

8. sometimes I get AnotherLevel, sometimes fvwm .... why??

9. Matrox Mil II : How is it?

10. Matrox Millenium II G200 8meg Graphics Card

11. Bad DGA throughput to Matrox Millennium II G200 AGP

12. Problems with Matrox Millenium II G200

13. matrox millennium II AGP same as millennium G200 AGP2X ??