Making enlightenment the default window manager

Making enlightenment the default window manager

Post by Jason Bon » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'd like to try enlightenment but I can't seem to
get it to work.  I've got all of:

enlightenment-0.15.5-100

X11R6 Xserver / distribution
Imlib
Fnlib
freetype
libjpeg
libtiff
libpng
zlib
libungif

installed from rpms and are the appropriate versions.
I've created a dummy account and run enlightenment from
the prompt and it asked if it could modify the appropriate
scripts to make enlightement the default window manager.
I clicked yes and it modified the .xinitrc (among other
files I imagine) file, but when I logged back in under that
account, it kept coming up with the fvwm window manager.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Thanks,

  Jason

Making enlightenment the default window manager

I'm having the same problem.  Any answers yet?`

Post by <NeuroPo.. » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I'd like to try enlightenment but I can't seem to
> get it to work.  I've got all of:

> enlightenment-0.15.5-100

> X11R6 Xserver / distribution
> Imlib
> Fnlib
> freetype
> libjpeg
> libtiff
> libpng
> zlib
> libungif

> installed from rpms and are the appropriate versions.
> I've created a dummy account and run enlightenment from
> the prompt and it asked if it could modify the appropriate
> scripts to make enlightement the default window manager.
> I clicked yes and it modified the .xinitrc (among other
> files I imagine) file, but when I logged back in under that
> account, it kept coming up with the fvwm window manager.
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Thanks,

>   Jason

I've had similar problems while trying to use fvwm95 as my default with
twm already installed.....what I did to try ot correct the problem was use
dselect (comes with Debian disto., don't know about others) to disable and
"uninstall" twm. Then fvwm95 automatically became my default, I was then
able to use dselect to "install" twm again and fvwm95 was still my default
-- so it all worked out, let me know how it goes for you.

NeuroPower

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Making enlightenment the default window manager

Post by Torleiv Flatebo Ringe » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The easiest way I know of is to install kde, and use kdm instead of
xdm, this allows you to choose which session you want to use, and
after you login once, it remembers which session you used last time
(like solaris)

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Post by Wayne Osbor » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I'd like to try enlightenment but I can't seem to
> get it to work.  I've got all of:

> enlightenment-0.15.5-100

> X11R6 Xserver / distribution
> Imlib
> Fnlib
> freetype
> libjpeg
> libtiff
> libpng
> zlib
> libungif

> installed from rpms and are the appropriate versions.
> I've created a dummy account and run enlightenment from
> the prompt and it asked if it could modify the appropriate
> scripts to make enlightement the default window manager.
> I clicked yes and it modified the .xinitrc (among other
> files I imagine) file, but when I logged back in under that
> account, it kept coming up with the fvwm window manager.
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Thanks,

>   Jason

You must set the default windows manager, ie: in
/usr/YOURACCOUNT/.gnome/default.wm

[default]
WM=/usr/bin/enlightenment

Good luck and let me know what you think of Enlightenemnt. One word of
advise re: Enlightenemnt themese, I have downloaded many from the Net
and several did not work, trashing my GNOME config.

--
--------------------
Wayne Anthony Osborn

1. Making enlightenment the default window manager

[...]

2. DPT controller recommendation

3. making enlightenment the default window manager

4. Backup suggestions

5. making KDE2 you default window manager

6. GIMP Binary for AIX 4.3

7. Emacs keybindings in Enlightenment Window Manager

8. Problem with X

9. Enlightenment Window Manager freezes X

10. Enlightenment Window Manager

11. Enlightenment window manager

12. How can I start KDE/enlightenment window manager automatically at login?

13. enlightenment window manager