x wnidows crashed

Post by Jamal Sale » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:52:24

Hi All,

I am new to linux. Using RedHat 7.1. I was logged in as root and decided to
upgrade my netscape to 6.x. My X windows crashed when I tried to run a video
from cnn. It complains about some 'fixed' font. I wanted to get the log file
from the /var/log/ directory but couldn't get the mail utility to work.

I couldn't uninstall some of the xfree86 packages becuase of dependencies. I
don't wanna reinstall the whole thing again Is there any way I could
re-install just the xwindows or fix this problem???

Thanks in advance.

Jamal

x wnidows crashed

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:21:43

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:52:24 GMT,

+> from cnn. It complains about some 'fixed' font.

Probably an xfs (xfont server) problem. Try a
http://www.veryComputer.com/;fixed font xfs". A fix maybe as
simple as modifying your XF86Config/XF86Config-4 file to use fontpaths
instead of a fontserver. Or perhaps fixing the fontserver.

+> I couldn't uninstall some of the xfree86 packages becuase of dependencies. I
+> don't wanna reinstall the whole thing again Is there any way I could
+> re-install just the xwindows or fix this problem???

Please put away the Windows mentality of "reboot, reinstall,
reformat". It isn't necessary unless you well and truely*
something up.

Always remember, google is your friend.

James
isn't looking good, either.

x wnidows crashed

Post by Jamal Sale » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:21:47

Hi ,

Below is end of my log file with the error message.

I tried the google and some of the solutions suggested there. I was able to
start the X but all I saw was some blue garbage on teh screen. Only
difference was that this time X didn't quet with a crash error. Which was
worse becuase I had to hit the reset button.

I notied that when I issued the shutdown now command, there was  FAILED
status besides the "shutting down xfs.." line.

Jamal

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:52:24 GMT,

> +> from cnn. It complains about some 'fixed' font.

> Probably an xfs (xfont server) problem. Try a
> http://www.veryComputer.com/;fixed font xfs". A fix maybe as
> simple as modifying your XF86Config/XF86Config-4 file to use fontpaths
> instead of a fontserver. Or perhaps fixing the fontserver.

> +> I couldn't uninstall some of the xfree86 packages becuase of
dependencies. I
> +> don't wanna reinstall the whole thing again Is there any way I could
> +> re-install just the xwindows or fix this problem???

> Please put away the Windows mentality of "reboot, reinstall,
> reformat". It isn't necessary unless you well and truely*
> something up.

> Always remember, google is your friend.

> James
> --
> Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
> I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
> isn't looking good, either.
> I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

x wnidows crashed

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:34:16

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 04:21:47 GMT,

+> difference was that this time X didn't quet with a crash error. Which was
+> worse becuase I had to hit the reset button.

control-alt-backspace and control-alt-fx (x=1..6) are your
friends. The backspace sequence kills the X server (but will restart
if you're booting directly into X), and the other 6 will give you
non-X terminals.

+> I notied that when I issued the shutdown now command, there was  FAILED
+> status besides the "shutting down xfs.." line.

What a shock. xfs isn't starting up...

+> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

...which is what the above line means. So you have no fonts available
to the X server.

+> Fatal server error:
+> could not open default font 'fixed'

One thing you could try is changing

        FontPath        "unix/:7100"

        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"

Adjust the paths to match your system (as necessary).

Alternatively, you could manually start the xfs server and try to
figure out why it is failing. Take a look at the /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs
startup script to see how your distro is starting xfs.

James
isn't looking good, either.

1. wnidow maker "programs" cascade menu doesn't show up

Hi there:

I'm using window maker, it's working fine. However, in the Application popup
menu, the "programs" cascade menu doesn't show up. In the WMRootmenu file,
it's set just like the default setting in plmenu:

("programs", OPEN_MENU, "| wmconfig --output wmaker 2>/dev/null"),

Whenever I point to this program entry in application popup menu, it just
pop up a menu title "programs", and nothing follows.

Thanks very much in advance

Xiaowen

2. amanda (amdump)

3. Wnidow Maker

4. wu-ftpd: lock of pid file failed...

5. network link between wnidows and linux box keeps dying

6. PC Processors Supported

7. (for gurus) ISSUES: crashes, crash on boot, crash on shutdown

8. 2.4.20pre10aa1

9. 2.0.34 keeps crashing and crashing and crashing and ...

10. Crashing Crashing Crashing

11. 2.0.34 keeps crashing and crashing and crashing and ...

12. ypbind crash crash crash

13. Help with OpenBSD 3.1 crashes (/var/crash/ files included)