Anyone Using StarOffice? Liking It?

Post by T » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have downloaded the binaries, but can't load them (via RPM) and am
guessing that this is because I don't have libc.so.5.4.4.   Where is
this to be found?

Are people liking their experiences with StarOffice?  Does it feel
like other commercial suites?

TL

To send return mail, remove SPAM from address.

Post by James Tappi » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have downloaded the binaries, but can't load them (via RPM) and am
> guessing that this is because I don't have libc.so.5.4.4.   Where is
> this to be found?

I wasn't aware of any StarOffice rpm distribution I used the tar files
and put them on a directory of my choice (as root) and then ran the
setup script as my normal userid (it's the setup script that needs libc
5.4.4 or better.

Look in the "updates" directory of your favourite redhat mirror and look

can't do a quick check). I did have a problem with 5.4.4 (with Red Baron
it crashed the system and I had to restart with the reset button).

Quote:> Are people liking their experiences with StarOffice?  Does it feel
> like other commercial suites?

I'm still learning it. The main problem is the lack of English
documentation - if you can read German then you will be better off. It
looks like it is a powerful system (certainly ccomparable with Smart
Suite).

--
+------------------------+------------------------------------+---------+
| James Tappin,          | School of Physics & Space Research |  O__

| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                       |         |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+---------+

Post by James Mcphers » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I have downloaded the binaries, but can't load them (via RPM) and am
: guessing that this is because I don't have libc.so.5.4.4.   Where is
: this to be found?

you need to manually install libc.so.5.4.4 at this stage. try your local
sunsite mirror in /pub/linux/GCC.  be __very__ careful when you install the
newer libc - it's quite likely that you'll trash your login and have to
reboot from a rescue disk and remake the links to libc.so ! (It's happened
to me several times;<)

:
: Are people liking their experiences with StarOffice?  Does it feel
: like other commercial suites?

yes - I don't use it for much since my primary wp package is*(thesis
is coming....!) but for the small things I've used it for, it's great. The
spreadsheet and presentation graphics modules are pretty cool. I'm currently
doing my tax return using the spreadsheet and doing some demo slideshow
for work using the presentations module.

the only bad thing about it is that it's such a memory hog! even with dynamic
binaries.

jcm
--
 I do not speak for the University of Queensland or the University Library

Post by Robert Bradley Patters » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I have downloaded the binaries, but can't load them (via RPM) and am
: guessing that this is because I don't have libc.so.5.4.4.   Where is
: this to be found?
:
: Are people liking their experiences with StarOffice?  Does it feel
: like other commercial suites?
:

Hello,
        StarOffice compares favorably with Microsoft Office, especially
considering that it's free for non-commercial use.  There's an
installation guide for VA Research (maker of Linux workstations) customers
which may be helpful.  You can peruse it at
http://www.varesearch.com/support/soinstall.html.  If you encounter any
trouble, maybe I can help.  Enjoy!

-Brad Patterson
_______________________

Post by Subhas R » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>: I have downloaded the binaries, but can't load them (via RPM) and am
>: guessing that this is because I don't have libc.so.5.4.4.   Where is
>: this to be found?

>you need to manually install libc.so.5.4.4 at this stage. try your local
>sunsite mirror in /pub/linux/GCC.  be __very__ careful when you install the
>newer libc - it's quite likely that you'll trash your login and have to
>reboot from a rescue disk and remake the links to libc.so ! (It's happened
>to me several times;<)

How about using libc 5.4.35 with LD_PRELOAD so that this libc
will be used just for staroffice?