parametric solid modeling

Post by Bernhard Ze » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

We are using parametric solid modeling software such as Solidworks
on a win95 Platform.

We wonder, if there is any good parametric solid modeling software around
for Linux?

Does anybody know it?

Thank you very much.

Regards

Bernhard Zeh

parametric solid modeling

Post by Erik Rosse » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> We wonder, if there is any good parametric solid modeling software around
> for Linux?

The only one that I know of is Microstation 95 by Bentley.  They have an
"academic" version with no support.  They are at
http://www.bentley.com/academic/products/linux.htm
I don't know what the price is, but the non-academic stuff is on the
order of US$3000 (I think).  They had a stand at Computer '98 in
Lausanne and I chatted with the guy.  He didn't know much about UNIX and
he gave me a price only for a complete workstation (Sfr20,000) with the
software installed.

There is a new solid modeller out called VariCAD at
http://www.varicad.com that has a fully implemented free demo version
that you can download.  The only thing that it doesn't do is save
files.  It costs about US$300.

Erik.