TWM: How Do I get X to use Gnome instead of TWM

TWM: How Do I get X to use Gnome instead of TWM

Post by MailDro » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:55:38

I recently installed Redhat 7.2 then downloaded XFree86 4.2.0 and installed it
according to xfree86.org's instructions (I have a Radeon 8500, and X wouldn't
run on it).  When I did the Redhat install, I had it install everything, but I
can't find the necessary doc's which would tell me which config files need to
be changed to get rid of twm (when I run Xconfigurator, it tests X as the last
step and the Gnome desktop comes up, however, after anwering the questions it
closes the xsession down,  so that when I startX, I just get Twm and a couple
of xterms, no icons or access to any of the other Redhat software).  Any
suggestions?

Peter

Post by Tobias Oe » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 04:12:56

> I recently installed Redhat 7.2 then downloaded XFree86 4.2.0 and
> installed it according to xfree86.org's instructions (I have a Radeon
> 8500, and X wouldn't
> run on it).  When I did the Redhat install, I had it install everything,
> but I can't find the necessary doc's which would tell me which config
> files need to be changed to get rid of twm (when I run Xconfigurator, it
> tests X as the last step and the Gnome desktop comes up, however, after
> anwering the questions it
> closes the xsession down,  so that when I startX, I just get Twm and a
> couple
> of xterms, no icons or access to any of the other Redhat software).  Any
> suggestions?

If you did it acording to the XFree86 documentation you should have a
backup of your /etc/X11 directory somewhere. Take your old
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc and copy them on top of
the new ones (after backing those up just in case...). That did the trick
for me (I'm using kde though).
Tobias.