creating linux install diskettes from CD

creating linux install diskettes from CD

Post by The^Sto » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Anyone know how to create a set of install disks from a  red hat cd...
I want to install on a 486  with no cdrom  available.

thanks .

Post by Bruce H. Johnso » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Anyone know how to create a set of install disks from a  red hat cd...
> I want to install on a 486  with no cdrom  available.

> thanks .

From Appendix B of the RH 5.2 manual:

Make 3 blank MSDOS floppies (I did a full format/verify to ensure no bad
sectors)

On the CD is \dosutils; do a chdir to there.

Enter 'rawrite'. You'll get a prompt for the image. Enter
'..\images\boot.img'.

You'll get a prompt for the target diskette drive. Enter 'a:' (assuming
that's your drive)

You'll get prompted to put the diskette in and to press Enter. Do it.

The image gets written.

I repeated the rawrite for \images\rescue.img and \images\supp.img (on
different diskettes of course)

Then you can just boot from the boot.img diskette and go from there.

HTH

--
Bruce H. Johnson
Corporate Knowledge, Inc. Los Angeles, California

#include <std_disclaimer>