Exporting X session

Post by Douglas J. Olivie » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Could someone point me to a good how to on exporting X session, it will be
running on a server with no video card so help re setup would also be
needed.

Exporting X session

Post by Hugo Villeneuv » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Could someone point me to a good how to on exporting X session, it will be
> running on a server with no video card so help re setup would also be
> needed.

RedHat and Slakware come with pre-configured xdm daemon. But in their
original forms, they also want to manage your local X server. But when
you don't have a display on the computer you have to comment the line:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

from /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. xdm won't try to start the X server now.
Start the xdm on the server.

(In the xdm man page look for paragraph "XDMCP ACCESS CONTROL" and
"LOCAL SERVER SPECIFICATION")

On the machine with the working X server, you can do "startx -broadcast"
or "startx -query ${remotemachine}" to get a session on the other
computer. (See the xserver man page under the paragraph "XDMCP
OPTIONS").

Well, it's not exactly what you ask, but I hope it helps.

Hugo Villeneuve

1. How to export X session?

I am running RH 7.3 on one system and Windows XP Pro on another system.  I
downloaded a Windows ssh client and just wanted to know is there a way to
export X windows to my XP system so I can see KDE from my Windows PC?
Thanks for any help.

Lamar

2. Need help with vi or sed commands

3. Use of kdm to export XWindows sessions.

4. NCSA Moaic?

5. Exporting CDE session

6. echoing to stderr from a sh script

7. Crypto export law with remote sessions?

8. No Display on X

9. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

10. working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

11. NFS export: trouble exporting read/write

12. export N; N=v vs N=v; export N

13. Why does nfsd re-export WITHOUT --re-export option ???