A Recommendation

Post by Andrew J. Hesfor » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

For anyone with a high-bandwidth internet connection, a CD-R drive, and
a PC which can boot a CD-ROM:

I HIGHLY recommend downloading the live S.u.S.E. system-on-a-disc,
available at ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-6.3.iso.gz. Extract this,
write it to a CD-R, and you have a complete, bootable Linux CD. In case
of native-installation trouble, you can boot this disc, log in as root
(no password), and make any changes necessary to get your installation
working again. This has saved my ass quite a few times, like when I used
linuxconf to set up my NICs, and the network script froze on me. It
beats creating your own system, because it's quick and easy. Because
it's S.u.S.E. 6.3, I think it has kernel 2.2.13, but I'm not sure. It
comes with some recent (3.3.5 or 3.3.6) version of XFree.

Check it out.

A Recommendation

Post by Oli D » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

thanks for that...unfortunatly, it's a little too big for me to d/l :(
I don't have cable, nor DSL, so, with my poor 7.5 kb/s...it would take too
long.

Regards,

Olivier

A Recommendation

Post by Eric » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

> For anyone with a high-bandwidth internet connection, a CD-R drive, and
> a PC which can boot a CD-ROM:

> I HIGHLY recommend downloading the live S.u.S.E. system-on-a-disc,
> available at ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-6.3.iso.gz. Extract this,
> write it to a CD-R, and you have a complete, bootable Linux CD. In case
> of native-installation trouble, you can boot this disc, log in as root
> (no password), and make any changes necessary to get your installation
> working again. This has saved my ass quite a few times, like when I used
> linuxconf to set up my NICs, and the network script froze on me. It
> beats creating your own system, because it's quick and easy. Because
> it's S.u.S.E. 6.3, I think it has kernel 2.2.13, but I'm not sure. It
> comes with some recent (3.3.5 or 3.3.6) version of XFree.

> Check it out.

For those with less bandwidth, go to slackware.com and download the
boot/root images for floppy discs.

Eric

SET A FOLLOW-UP WHEN YOU CROSS-POST

A Recommendation

Post by billy ba » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>For anyone with a high-bandwidth internet connection, a CD-R drive, and
>a PC which can boot a CD-ROM:

>I HIGHLY recommend downloading the live S.u.S.E. system-on-a-disc,
>available at ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-6.3.iso.gz. Extract this,
>write it to a CD-R, and you have a complete, bootable Linux CD. In case
>of native-installation trouble, you can boot this disc, log in as root
>(no password), and make any changes necessary to get your installation
>working again. This has saved my ass quite a few times, like when I used
>linuxconf to set up my NICs, and the network script froze on me. It
>beats creating your own system, because it's quick and easy. Because
>it's S.u.S.E. 6.3, I think it has kernel 2.2.13, but I'm not sure. It
>comes with some recent (3.3.5 or 3.3.6) version of XFree.

>Check it out.

even better... here's what i use:

go to www.linuxcare.com

download the lnx-gold.iso bootable business card image...

burn onto a business card CDR...

the CD boots to a rescue mode... if you do a:

ln -s /etc/X11/XF86Config.foryourcard XF86Config

you can then do:

startx

and start X11!

btw, the CD also installs a 100MB+ Debian filesystem if you use:

debinst

at the initial boot: prompt!

1. recommendation on hardware recommendation

Hi, if you have time I'd appreciate the corrections to the

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

I know I should not have written it, but there is so much
good fast cheap hardware, while most documents like
PC-Clone UNIX Hardware Buyer's Guide do not seem to give a clue
to today's market...
Anyways.
For personal emails: the username is "comech".

Thanks!
Andrew

2. 36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

3. CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

4. scsi emulation

5. recommendations for prom updates...

6. Red Hat 9 Video problems!

7. Laptop recommendations?

8. cpio: truncating inode number

9. scsi recommendation

10. Paging Software Recommendations

11. Motherboard recommendations?

12. Need recommendations for notebook with Linux/X

13. Need recommendations for VGA "overlay" board