X server problem: top few lines disappear of the top of the screen

X server problem: top few lines disappear of the top of the screen

Post by Alan Mackenzi » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:14:27

When I start the X server, even without a window manager, say using the
bare command X, the "logical" top of the screen is higher than the
"physical" top of the screen, and I don't see the top.  I've tried my
monitor height adjustment controls, to no avail.

This wasn't too much of a problem with fvwm2.  But now I want to move to
a full-featured window manager, ratpoison, and it needs the top of the
screen for messages.

I'm currently using a PCI Matrox Millenium Card at (I think) 1280x1024.

Can anybody help me get these critical lines back?  Would any version
information, important bits from my config files help?

I'm sure I've got the appropriate documentation somewhere.  It's just
I've got completely lost in the rats' nest of startup commands, man
pages, configuration files, howtos, .....

Thanks in Advance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

(like "aa"), remove one of them (leaving, say, "a").

Post by Ian Stirlin » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 13:38:52

>When I start the X server, even without a window manager, say using the
>bare command X, the "logical" top of the screen is higher than the
>"physical" top of the screen, and I don't see the top.  I've tried my
>monitor height adjustment controls, to no avail.

Have you played with xvidtune?

"Looks like his brainwaves crash a little short of the beach..."    - Duckman.

Post by Alan Mackenzi » Sat, 03 Nov 2001 05:34:41

>>When I start the X server, even without a window manager, say using the
>>bare command X, the "logical" top of the screen is higher than the
>>"physical" top of the screen, and I don't see the top.  I've tried my
>>monitor height adjustment controls, to no avail.
> Have you played with xvidtune?

I have now :-).  A few clicks on "Shorter" (and then "Apply"), and
everything was as it should be.  A click on "Show" put the following on
my xterm:

"1280x1024"    151.42    1280 1352 1512 1664    1024 1029 1042 1057

after which it wasn't difficult to determine that the trouble was in my
XF86Config.  I _like_ programs like this which just give you the stuff to
put into your config files yourself, so that you don't have to worry
about your precious config being destroyed by an unfeeling program.

Many thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

(like "aa"), remove one of them (leaving, say, "a").

1. Squid Setting IP Forward (Top Top Top Urgent)

Why are you using 168.1.1.x for your network addresses? This is a
network that's allocated to Credit Suisse - which is in Switzerland.

Squid is configured to forward your real (internal) IP address. ISA
isn't.

The quick fix is to change squid not to forward your internal IP
address. The correct fix is to use a private network address as defined

in RFC 1918. Typically this is one starting 192.168.x.x.

I'm understand the problems, but i can't change the network design now.

So, How To do that (quick fix to change squid not forward my internal
ip address) ?? Is it add a iptables or config some etc .....

Please Please Please Please help me

Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many THANKS

2. How many Servers should we use?

3. Windows opening with their tops off the top of the screen.

4. Creating new users

5. solaris zones on top of vlans (801.1q) on top of sun trunking?

6. STREAMS ported to DOS or WINDOWS?

7. Top topped

8. Directions to SCO Forum from airports: SFO and SJC

9. Using TOP (monitoring top processes)

10. top or top-like program for SVR4?

11. Kernel (wait) at the top of "top"

12. diald-top v1.0 on sunsite -- top-like listing of network packets

13. OT: TOPS-20 and TOPS-10 live on