changing screen resolution in linux-mandrake 7.0

changing screen resolution in linux-mandrake 7.0

Post by Brett Wolfso » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When I installed linux-mandrake 7.0 it set my screen resolution in x to
something that is extremly high.  I am fairly new to linux and do not
understand how to change the setting.  I know that it is in a config file
somewhere but what file and where?

Post by BongerV » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> When I installed linux-mandrake 7.0 it set my screen resolution in x to
> something that is extremly high.  I am fairly new to linux and do not
> understand how to change the setting.  I know that it is in a config file
> somewhere but what file and where?

> --

You may want to try using ctl-alt-numeric-pad+ combination to see if you
already have other modes configured. If doing this it changes to a lower
resolution then all you need to do is #2 below because you already have
the other modes.

You'll either want to:
1.)Run XConfigurator again and select all of the modes you want. See the
note below.
or
2.) Manually edit the /etc/X11/XF86config file. Near the end of the file
there is a graphics section. In these stanzas you will see the "mode" lines
"1024x768" and/or "800x600" and/or "640x480". Arrange these lines in the
order you want.

*****
Note: X will use the largest resolution as a virtual screen. This means
that if you have a mode line arranged as "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
then it will come up in "640x480" mode but it will use the "1024x768" as a
virtual window(ie you need to scroll to get to the bottom of the window).
To prevent this only put the "640x480"(or the resolution you want) in the
mode line

changing screen resolution in linux-mandrake 7.0

Post by Mike » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

One of the great things about MANDRAKE 7.0 is that you have a
configuration manager within x-windows.  You can do a number of things.
You can run a program called DRAKCONF.  It should be on your desktop
unless you removed it.  Run this program and enter the ROOT password.
There should be a selection named RESOLUTIONS or something along those
lines.  Click on that and the rest should be pretty self explanatory.  If
that doesn't work out for some reason.  Press CRTL+ALT+F2 at your Login
screen and then login out of X-Windows.  Type: Xconfigurator    (this
command is CASE SENSATIVE so type it EXACTLY the way I typed it.  Follow
the on screen instructions, you can keep all of your existing settings and
just change the resolution to something lower.  You may have to guess and
check different settings and then test them to see if they work.  Hope you
get it working.

> When I installed linux-mandrake 7.0 it set my screen resolution in x to
> something that is extremly high.  I am fairly new to linux and do not
> understand how to change the setting.  I know that it is in a config file
> somewhere but what file and where?

> --

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. Two thumbs up!

3. Changing screen resolution on multiple screen system

4. 4Mb S3Virge GX2 AGP problems with XFree86, Please Help me

5. resolution using Mandrake 7.0?

6. 64 bit imagemagick

7. How do you change screen resolution in Linux

8. Autopush for modules?

9. "no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

10. Mandrake 7.0 - cannot find screen?!?

11. Mandrake 7.0 "cannot find screen" help!!!

12. Mandrake 7.1 : Screen's resolution

13. Mandrake 8.0 and screen resolution problem