XFree86 4..1 Matrox G400 16Mo

Post by Buffat Mar » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I have installed XFree86.4.0.1 on a linux box using the Redhat 7.0 with a
matrox G400 16 Mo. The system is running without trouble except when
I try to run some OpenGl programm (like gears). The screen and the keyboard are
locked and I had to reboot the system. I have try both the original MGA driver
and the new one from Matrox. When I disabled the hardware acceleration:
 Option "NoAccel" "on"  in X86Config
the openGL program runs, but with software acceleration of course.
I got also the following system message (with dmesg), when the system hangs (I
kill the openGL program from an internet connexion)

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro chipset

[drm] Initialized mga 1.0.0 20000719 on minor 63
[drm:mga_release] *ERROR* Process 851 dead, freeing lock for context 3
[drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* irqs: 0 wanted 0
[drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* lockup
[drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* irqs: 0 wanted 0
[drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* lockup

Any Idea ?

        Marc BUFFAT

XFree86 4..1 Matrox G400 16Mo

Post by Guy Delamarte » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I have installed XFree86.4.0.1 on a linux box using the Redhat 7.0 with a
> matrox G400 16 Mo. The system is running without trouble except when
> I try to run some OpenGl programm (like gears). The screen and the keyboard are
> locked and I had to reboot the system. I have try both the original MGA driver
> and the new one from Matrox. When I disabled the hardware acceleration:
>  Option "NoAccel" "on"  in X86Config
> the openGL program runs, but with software acceleration of course.
> I got also the following system message (with dmesg), when the system hangs (I
> kill the openGL program from an internet connexion)

> Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
> agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro chipset

> [drm] Initialized mga 1.0.0 20000719 on minor 63
> [drm:mga_release] *ERROR* Process 851 dead, freeing lock for context 3
> [drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* irqs: 0 wanted 0
> [drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* lockup
> [drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* irqs: 0 wanted 0
> [drm:mga_dma_quiescent] *ERROR* lockup

> Any Idea ?

>         Marc BUFFAT

Well, I have an idea, but I am not sure about your case.

 I have a G400 w/32Mb of RAM with a motherboard sporting a Via chipset.  My X
startup partially fails in that the kernel drivers can't be loaded: namely agpgart
fails before it can even load mga.  Agpgart says it can't recognize the VIA
chipset on my board, and suggests that  I start the module with an option that
explicitly says the chipset is unknown.  I tried that, agpgart loaded and then I
restarted the X server.   The DRI module mga loaded without complaints.  But I got
the same type of lockup (upon using an OpenGL screensaver) you describe.  So I
would guess that the interaction with your motherboard AGP chipset is the
problem.  I don't know how to fix the problem, but I'd love to hear how.  I've
seen that OpenGL is significantly faster on 4.0.1 than on 3.3.6 even without the
DRI enabled, but I'd like to see it scream if I can!

If this is your problem, please let me know if you hear anything!

Cheers,
Guy Delamarter

XFree86 4..1 Matrox G400 16Mo

Post by Buffat Mar » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Le sam, 14 oct 2000, Guy Delamarter a crit :
Quote:

>Well, I have an idea, but I am not sure about your case.

> I have a G400 w/32Mb of RAM with a motherboard sporting a Via chipset.  My X
>startup partially fails in that the kernel drivers can't be loaded: namely agpgart
>fails before it can even load mga.  Agpgart says it can't recognize the VIA
>chipset on my board, and suggests that  I start the module with an option that
>explicitly says the chipset is unknown.  I tried that, agpgart loaded and then I
>restarted the X server.   The DRI module mga loaded without complaints.  But I got
>the same type of lockup (upon using an OpenGL screensaver) you describe.  So I
>would guess that the interaction with your motherboard AGP chipset is the
>problem.  I don't know how to fix the problem, but I'd love to hear how.  I've
>seen that OpenGL is significantly faster on 4.0.1 than on 3.3.6 even without the
>DRI enabled, but I'd like to see it scream if I can!

>If this is your problem, please let me know if you hear anything!

>Cheers,
>Guy Delamarter

I have found a solution to my problem with the Matrox G400/16Mb and my Linux
box with a VIA Apollo AGP.
The probleme seems related to the glibc  library of the Redhat 7.0 and XFree86
4.0.  Apparently the glibc-2.1.92-14 has a bug. I downlaod the updated library
glibc-2.1.94-3.for the Redhat 7.0, and now it works perfectly with a 3D
acceleration.
So update and try again
Sincerely,
        Marc BUFFAT

1. XFree86 4.0 and Matrox G400

OK, Let's can the dualheaded monster for now.  I had hardware acceration
on my G400 and was merrily runninq Q3Arena before upgrading to XFree
4.0.  Now all I get is software acceleration which is toooo slooooo.
xdpyinfo shows that the glx and glcore mods are all loaded.   This is a
fresh install of X (blew away old 3.3.5 install) and I'm running RedHat
6.2.  Any clues are appreciated.

Mahalo,
Mark

  markp.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Tinman digest, volume 2451736

3. How to configure a Matrox G400 in XFree86 3.3.4 ?

4. Listing functions in a library

5. Xfree86 3.9.17 and Matrox g400

6. Linux is a bast... it won't uninstall! Help!

7. Matrox Millenium G400 crashes in XFree86-3.3.5

8. Getting my MDP3858-E Modem to work in linux (x-windows)?

9. Xfree86 3.9.17 and Matrox g400

10. Matrox G400 and XFree86 4.0.3

11. XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

12. XFree86 for Matrox MGA G400 display card

13. XFree86 + Matrox G400 question.. (wide res)