STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by shint » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I have a Dell with that video card and I can not getting startx to work
for the world.  Could someone kindly email/post a laundry list of
exactly what I might try to get this up and working.  I probably need to
get the CORRECT updates, and install them... so if the list could
include how/where to do that.  This would be greatly appreciated... I am
getting to the stages of giving up on this machine.

Thanks
Mike

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by Bill McCla » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

> I have a Dell with that video card and I can not getting startx to work
> for the world.  Could someone kindly email/post a laundry list of
> exactly what I might try to get this up and working.  I probably need to
> get the CORRECT updates, and install them... so if the list could
> include how/where to do that.  This would be greatly appreciated... I am
> getting to the stages of giving up on this machine.

Hello. I'm new at this, but I just installed XFree86 on my Dell
Dimension with that card and it is working well. I did have to make
several attempts to get the settings correct. One thing to watch is that
the new Dells put the video card on the AGP bus and this required new
XFree code, but I believe it is standard for the latest release. I'm
using the SUSE 5.2 distribution.

Are you using XF86Setup? What selections are you making?

-Bill

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by tip » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

that's it.

laterz,
- tip

[ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

[ & email is spam protected: replace "qwerqwer" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
[ *&#%!$* don't trust that person in the mirror with anything *&!%#$* ]

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by 3238 » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

On several of the motherboards out there...

The AGP slot shares the IRQ with the first PCI slot, so if you have a card
in the first PCI slot, you are sharing an IRQ.

The XServer for the NVidia cards does not work with acceleration if you are
sharing an IRQ.

You have 2 choices, you can make sure you're not sharing an IRQ, or you can
the no accel flag to your XF86Config file....

-Dave

>goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
>this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

>just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

>make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

>that's it.

>laterz,
>- tip

>[ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

>[ & email is spam protected: replace "qwerqwer" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
>[ *&#%!$* don't trust that person in the mirror with anything *&!%#$* ]

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by Jim Philip » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

Well, it can be hard if you don't have the driver for Riva 128. You can get
it at www.rivazone.com. Install it and the server is just there on the
selection list when you configure X. It beats trying to download all of
XFree86.

> goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
> this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

> just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

> make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

> that's it.

> laterz,
> - tip

> [ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

> [ & email is spam protected: replace "qwerqwer" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
> [ *&#%!$* don't trust that person in the mirror with anything *&!%#$* ]

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by Dave Peacoc » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

"tip",

Don't you dare come onto a newsgroup with this
kind of attitude. Not everyone here has been into
various technical things for hundreds of years.
There are newbies, who need help. That is the whole
point of the Internet, it is about sharing information,
knowledge and assisting people who need help.
No, I am not a newbie, I am a techie, but if someone
asks me for help, I give it to them. You are a complete
fool. You have no place in this newsgroup or on the Internet
in general, go away and come back when you have matured.

Dave.

> goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
> this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

> just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

> make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

> that's it.

> laterz,
> - tip

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by Adam Vell » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

I was having the same Riva 128 problem, took your advice and downloaded the
driver from the site you listed (thank you so much). I installed the driver.
Now, Xconfigurator lists it but can't find the driver, and xf86config lists in
but it doesn't change anything versus a standard SVGA setup.  It can't find any
valid screen modes and defaults to 300 x 200 and you can scroll through the
modes with ctrl-alt +(-).
    Any ideas?

> Well, it can be hard if you don't have the driver for Riva 128. You can get
> it at www.rivazone.com. Install it and the server is just there on the
> selection list when you configure X. It beats trying to download all of
> XFree86.

> > goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
> > this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

> > just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

> > make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

> > that's it.

> > laterz,
> > - tip

> > [ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

> > [ & email is spam protected: replace "qwerqwer" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
> > [ *&#%!$* don't trust that person in the mirror with anything *&!%#$* ]

STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva

Post by Arun K. Kh » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

I have read in many posts about IRQ conflicts between the Riva128 (AGP/PCI) and other PCI
boards  causing problems. My systems has  a MS6119 where the IRQ is shared between the
AGP slot and the 1st PCI slot below it.  The video card and the network card came installed,
sharing the IRQ.

Does  the Win95/NT drivers also operate un-accelerated in such a configuration?  If not then
why is it that the X server (XFree86 svga) suffers from the IRQ sharing problem?   Just curious.

Regards,
Arun Khan

>On several of the motherboards out there...

>The AGP slot shares the IRQ with the first PCI slot, so if you have a card
>in the first PCI slot, you are sharing an IRQ.

>The XServer for the NVidia cards does not work with acceleration if you are
>sharing an IRQ.

>You have 2 choices, you can make sure you're not sharing an IRQ, or you can
>the no accel flag to your XF86Config file....

>-Dave

>>goddam. THIS IS NOT HARD. i don't know why the hell people can't figure
>>this out, or that there is a need for a mini-howto on this.

>>just d/l the latest xfree86 distribution; use the svga driver.

>>make sure no irqs are conflicting with the irq for the video card.

>>that's it.

>>laterz,
>>- tip

>>[ =-=-=-=-=-= preserve wildlife; pickle a squirrel today. =-=-=-=-=-= ]

>>[ & email is spam protected: replace "qwerqwer" with "stopsmiling" &* ]
>>[ *&#%!$* don't trust that person in the mirror with anything *&!%#$* ]

1. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support

Does anyone know if the STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) supported
under Linux or where I may be able to find register level tech docs to
write the driver?  nVidia, the company the makes the chipset and STB
refuse both refuse by request for the information.

I currently have Win95 and WinNT on my PII system and would like to give
Linux and the BeOS(www.be.com) a try.  What does it mean in Linux for a
card to be unsupported?  For example, in 95 & NT, if you don't have the
driver installed, you usually still get 640x480 16 colors and in the
BeOS, you get nothing(just a blank screen).

Thanks,
Jin Yu
--
BeDev ID: 6731

http://www.coresi.com/yuweb/

--
BeDev ID: 6731

http://www.coresi.com/yuweb/

2. Memory usage in Lilo.conf

3. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support?

4. printing a 'plot' file

5. windoze tip for unix command line lovers

6. Need Driver for nVidia RIVA 128 (STB Velocity 128)

7. Automating install by using custom tagfiles

8. stb veloctiy 128 (nvidia riva 128) (frozen black screen)

9. STB velocity 128 Nvidia Riva 128 chipset

10. looking for driver for STB velocity 128 w/ Nvidia Riva 128 chipset

11. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support?

12. STB Velocity 128 NVidia Riva