Docking apps in WindowMaker

Post by Thomas Lotz » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:47:09

Hi,

I'm new to WindowMaker and have the following problem:

When I dock some app, it can normally be run only
once from the dock; after that the three little dots
on the icon are gone, and the icon is kind of dead.

Now I found somewhere in the documentation a way to
circumvent this: make the app emulate an icon and
somehow dock that. However, when I want to select
this emulation from the window menu/attributes panel,
it's grayed out for all the apps I tried.
=> First problem.

Then, I played around with the attributes, and at some
point deactivated application icons for one or two
apps. When I decided later to bring them back, I found
the window menu/application specific menu entry grayed
out.
=> Second problem.

As a side effect, the icon emulation was suddenly
possible for the apps I robbed of app icons. However,
it doesn't help much as there won't be an icon I can
drag onto the dock.
=> Third problem.

Overall, I have the impression that I haven't yet
understood this whole mechanism, especially as I
couldn't reproduce the described behaviour for some
other app when I tried to get behind it all.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks and Cheers,

Thomas

--
Thomas Lotze - thomas.lotze *at* gmx.net

http://www.thomas-lotze.de
http://www.thomas-lotze.de/Schiebefax :o)

Post by Taavi Hei » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 06:51:53

: When I dock some app, it can normally be run only
: once from the dock; after that the three little dots
: on the icon are gone, and the icon is kind of dead.

The easiest way around this is: right-click on the dock icon and select
"Launch" from the drop-down menu; that's how I get my 28 xterms (actually
wterms) :)

--

Registered Linux user #209546
Registered Linux machine #97395

Docking apps in WindowMaker

Post by Malcolm Cow » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:53:55

You can use shell as a wrapper around the program you wish to execute --
I believe I got this from the WindowMaker FAQ originally. Right click on
the icon and select "Settings...". In the application path, type:

/bin/sh -c "exec aterm &"

Replace "aterm" with whatever executable you wish to invoke.

--
Malcolm Cowe.
IT | Technical Computing,    Telephone: +44 131 331 6466

> Hi,

> I'm new to WindowMaker and have the following problem:

> When I dock some app, it can normally be run only
> once from the dock; after that the three little dots
> on the icon are gone, and the icon is kind of dead.

> Now I found somewhere in the documentation a way to
> circumvent this: make the app emulate an icon and
> somehow dock that. However, when I want to select
> this emulation from the window menu/attributes panel,
> it's grayed out for all the apps I tried.
> => First problem.

> Then, I played around with the attributes, and at some
> point deactivated application icons for one or two
> apps. When I decided later to bring them back, I found
> the window menu/application specific menu entry grayed
> out.
> => Second problem.

> As a side effect, the icon emulation was suddenly
> possible for the apps I robbed of app icons. However,
> it doesn't help much as there won't be an icon I can
> drag onto the dock.
> => Third problem.

> Overall, I have the impression that I haven't yet
> understood this whole mechanism, especially as I
> couldn't reproduce the described behaviour for some
> other app when I tried to get behind it all.

> Can someone please enlighten me?

> Thanks and Cheers,

> Thomas

Docking apps in WindowMaker

Post by David Slus » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:56:15

Quote:> When I dock some app, it can normally be run only
> once from the dock; after that the three little dots
> on the icon are gone, and the icon is kind of dead.

This can probably be attributed to the NEXTSTEP interface that
WindowMaker tries to faithfully reproduce. It's not really dead :)
After launching a program, the dock icon kind of acts like a taskbar
for that app. If you double-click the icon, you will be taken to the
workspace where the application is, and the window will be raised to
the top (if it's not minimized). If you "hide" the window, a single
dot appears on the dock icon. If you double-click it, the window is
restored. etc..

Anyways to answer your question, if you would like to launch
additional windows from a dock icon already in use, just hold down the
CTRL button while you double-click it.

1. windowmaker docked apps...

I have downloaded a few docked apps however I cannot compile
them successfully.

The error I seem to keep getting complains about a file not
being found:
in /usr/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl Project.tml ..

so, here's what happens when I type xmkmf.......

xmkmf
mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
In file included from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:1072,
                 from Imakefile.c:13:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:23: warning:
`MotifIsTopLevelProject' redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:21: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
In file included from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:27,
                 from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:1072,
                 from Imakefile.c:13:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:101: warning: `BuildLibPath'
redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:697: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:107: warning: `ProjectDefines'
redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:710: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:112: warning:
`CplusplusProjectDefines' redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:719: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
In file included from Imakefile.c:13:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:1077: Project.tmpl: No such file or
directory
In file included from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:27,
                 from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl:1079,
                 from Imakefile.c:13:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:101: warning: `BuildLibPath'
redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:697: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:107: warning: `ProjectDefines'
redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:710: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/X11.rules:112: warning:
`CplusplusProjectDefines' redefined
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Motif.rules:719: warning: this is the location
of the previous definition
imake: Exit code 33.
  Stop.

seemed to me that imake stuff was pretty standard.

what am I missing?

thanks,

AG
..

2. Running XFree86 under the debugger?

3. FreeBSD + WindowMaker = No Dock Apps

4. Keeping DIP alive

5. E & Windowmaker dock apps in RH6??

6. Networked Red Hat

7. Locking WindowMaker docked apps?

8. soundcore, where has it gone?

9. how to dock apps with windowmaker ?

10. Hotkey combination for docked app in WindowMaker

11. Licq and WindowMaker Dock Icon

12. weather monitoring software?? windowmaker's dock/clip??

13. windowmaker "dock"