Sound won't work for "normal" user

Post by Richard Foreste » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

I'm running RH5.2 and have a SoundBlaster Gold card.  The sound is just fine
if I am logged in as "root".  When I log in under any plain old user account
it no longer works.  If I run the CD player it doesn't respond to the play
button.  If I start to play a game (e.g.. xgalaga), it works ok until it
tries to play a sound at which time the process shuts down.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Have a solution?

Thanks!
Richard

Post by Hans Dumbraj » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> I'm running RH5.2 and have a SoundBlaster Gold card.  The sound is just fine
> if I am logged in as "root".  When I log in under any plain old user account
> it no longer works.  If I run the CD player it doesn't respond to the play
> button.  If I start to play a game (e.g.. xgalaga), it works ok until it
> tries to play a sound at which time the process shuts down.

> Does anyone else have this problem?  Have a solution?

> Thanks!
> Richard

Check the premissions for your audio and cd in the dev directory. I suppose
they are in the audio group or something similar. If this is the case add your
users to this group.