XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

Post by Tom Schlarma » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am try to get XFree86 3.3.3 up and going. The XF86_SVGA server is telling
me that the default font 'fixed' is missing.

I have hit the README.Config and it indicates that one of my font paths may
be bad. Well, all my font paths are correct.

I have run mkfontdir on the assorted font folders and all is well. A new
fonts.dir file was created and it reported no errors. The fonts.alias file
lists a 'fixed' font which looks alot like the params for the 6x13.pcf.gz
file. So everything should be in place.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using a PCI S3 VirgeVX.

Thanx

Tom

PS-- If any of the XFree86 server developers are out there...How about
adding more descriptive error messages in one of the next releases. Making
it easier for users to fix things is the only way Linux is gonna outpace
Windows...

Tom Schlarman

Post by Radiosit » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I am try to get XFree86 3.3.3 up and going. The XF86_SVGA server is telling
> me that the default font 'fixed' is missing.

> I have hit the README.Config and it indicates that one of my font paths may
> be bad. Well, all my font paths are correct.

> I have run mkfontdir on the assorted font folders and all is well. A new
> fonts.dir file was created and it reported no errors. The fonts.alias file
> lists a 'fixed' font which looks alot like the params for the 6x13.pcf.gz
> file. So everything should be in place.

> Does anyone have any ideas?

> I am using a PCI S3 VirgeVX.

> Thanx

> Tom

> PS-- If any of the XFree86 server developers are out there...How about
> adding more descriptive error messages in one of the next releases. Making
> it easier for users to fix things is the only way Linux is gonna outpace
> Windows...

> Tom Schlarman

I suggest you manually go over your XF86Config file.  It's usually
located in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  It should be fairly self explanatory.
If you haven't read the FAQ for XFree86 it coudl also help.
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

Post by Tom Schlarma » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Yeah, I figured out what was going on. The XF86Config file was fine. The
updated XFree86 3.3.3 servers did not get installed.

My fault.

I think i'm gonna make a install script for XFree86 that will take care of
all the stuff that you manually have to pull out of the documentation. I
re-read the install docs and the one thing that wasn't mentioned and
probably should have been is to make sure and run the extract utility in the
servers directory. I just dl'd the updates and mirrored the directories on
the ftp site. That was the cause of my problem. Running a 3.3.2 server with
all the rest of the distribution being 3.3.3.

This was my first shot at updating XFree and it wasn't all bad. I have to
admit I learned alot.

Tom

Tom Schlarman

>> Hi all,

>> I am try to get XFree86 3.3.3 up and going. The XF86_SVGA server is
telling
>> me that the default font 'fixed' is missing.

>> I have hit the README.Config and it indicates that one of my font paths
may
>> be bad. Well, all my font paths are correct.

>> I have run mkfontdir on the assorted font folders and all is well. A new
>> fonts.dir file was created and it reported no errors. The fonts.alias
file
>> lists a 'fixed' font which looks alot like the params for the 6x13.pcf.gz
>> file. So everything should be in place.

>> Does anyone have any ideas?

>> I am using a PCI S3 VirgeVX.

>> Thanx

>> Tom

>> PS-- If any of the XFree86 server developers are out there...How about
>> adding more descriptive error messages in one of the next releases.
Making
>> it easier for users to fix things is the only way Linux is gonna outpace
>> Windows...

>> Tom Schlarman

>I suggest you manually go over your XF86Config file.  It's usually
>located in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  It should be fairly self explanatory.
>If you haven't read the FAQ for XFree86 it coudl also help.
>http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/

XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

Post by Kennet » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Try to use command gzip -d *.tgz to decompress all of the fonts in misc and
75dpi dir. After that, go to edit the XF86Config file and put a # remark
ahead of the fontpath Speedo, Type1, TrueType, Cyrillic and others except
the misc and 75dpi.

I also have the same problem when I upgrade to 3.3.3, now I've been solved
this.

1. Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

I keep getting this error on running startex.  I know it has to do with
the compressed fonts in the font directories.  The x server dies at that
point with:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

There is an FAQ somewhere on this, but I can't find it at all.  The fix
has to do with a configuration setting or a update, (something to do
with old fonts) but I can't remember anything beyond that.

Running RH 5.1, out of the box.

Thanks.

Yan

2. problem with lprm and remote BSD queues on AIX 3.1.5

3. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

4. pppd doesn't work with mgetty HELP

5. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

6. sendmail lags on boot

7. RedHat 4.2 seems to be slooo

8. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

9. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

10. could not open default font 'fixed'

11. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

12. could not open default font 'fixed'