CDE Linux and Console Lock.

Post by Travis Melhise » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Perhaps this has been covered before, but I am rather new
to the Linux version of CDE.

My Linux development box will not allow me unlock the
screen when using Shadow passwd's?

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a solution?

Thanks,
        Travis Melhiser

CDE Linux and Console Lock.

Post by Travis Melhise » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> This is a known bug. The screen-lock does not work with the shadow
> password enabled. The only workaround right now is to disable the
> shadow passwords.

> - Thomas

I have found another solution, if interested.

It's not quite as eligant as the built in screen locking
mechanism of CDE, but it does work ;)

This involves disabling the screen lock feature in CDE.
Then on startup, having xlock start.  This will allow
the screen to be locked and unlocked by a timeout period.

The next step is to change the function of the lock icon:

This solution assumes that your default language is "C"
if it is different, change the "C" to your default language.

Add this file to the /etc/dt/appconfig/types/C
directory.

XLock.dtACTION LockDisplay
{
        LABEL   LockDisplay
        TYPE    COMMAND
        EXEC_STRING     xlock -remote
        WINDOW_TYPE     NO_STDIO
        DESCRIPTION     The LockDisplay action locks the workstation. \
                        You must know the user's to unlock the
\                                 workstation.

Quote:}

This should allow shadow passwds to be used with a "Screen Lock/Saver
Util".  As a side note, make sure your xlock is compiled with
shadow passwd support.  Check the documentation to ensure that
it is compiled correctly.

Good Luck,
                Travis Melhiser

CDE Linux and Console Lock.

--
             Thomas Roell   /\       Liebe Kunden,
             Xi Graphics   /  \/\ _    bitte vergebt uns unsere Fehler,

                         / Brumpft! \

CDE Linux and Console Lock.

Post by James W. Bennet » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > My Linux development box will not allow me unlock the
> > screen when using Shadow passwd's?

> > Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a solution?

> This is a known bug. The screen-lock does not work with the shadow
> password enabled. The only workaround right now is to disable the
> shadow passwords.

Also, dtterm (and potentially other CDE programs) has a problem with
NIS distributed groups. I think I reported this Thomas, but I don't
remember. If you want more details, email me.

Also, if my last post (about Xintl) sounded a little harsh, I
apologize, it wasn't meant to. That has been the only failing I have
seen with your tech support group.

Personally, I think Xi Graphics is doing a super job, otherwise I
wouldn't own 4 Xaccel servers and 2 CDE environments. I just hope
you give us dedicated customers an easy upgrade path to the next
Version of CDE (ie, with motif 2 support) and (hopefully) a bug fix
for the current version.

--
Jim Bennett                           Tara-Lu Corporation

voice: (907) 696-6138                 16928 Park Place #3
www: http://www.tara-lu.com/~jimb/    Eagle River, AK 99577

CDE Linux and Console Lock.

Post by Thomas Roel » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > > My Linux development box will not allow me unlock the
> > > screen when using Shadow passwd's?

> > > Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a solution?

> > This is a known bug. The screen-lock does not work with the shadow
> > password enabled. The only workaround right now is to disable the
> > shadow passwords.

> Also, dtterm (and potentially other CDE programs) has a problem with
> NIS distributed groups. I think I reported this Thomas, but I don't
> remember. If you want more details, email me.

Please send them to me. Somebody else reported this problem, without
NIS however. His solution was to replace a line in the groups file
that looked like that:

users:*:20:username1,username2,username3

with a line that looked like that:

users::20:username1,username2,username3

Quote:> Also, if my last post (about Xintl) sounded a little harsh, I
> apologize, it wasn't meant to. That has been the only failing I have
> seen with your tech support group.

> Personally, I think Xi Graphics is doing a super job, otherwise I
> wouldn't own 4 Xaccel servers and 2 CDE environments. I just hope
> you give us dedicated customers an easy upgrade path to the next
> Version of CDE (ie, with motif 2 support) and (hopefully) a bug fix
> for the current version.

The version with Motif 2.x support is probable not something you want
to hold your breath for, meaning this is a new source base with anthor
chunk of bugs most likely. Hence the 1.0.10 based CDE's will be more
stable for a while.

- Thomas
--

Post by Chris Flatter » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> The version with Motif 2.x support is probable not something you want
> to hold your breath for, meaning this is a new source base with anthor
> chunk of bugs most likely. Hence the 1.0.10 based CDE's will be more
> stable for a while.

Since the big item in the reunified Motif PST is thread-safety, it
would make sense to wait until the Linux thread API is stable and
widely available (libc 6 + a few minor revs).

There probably isn't much point in Linux getting ahead of the
curve with respect to CDE, anyhow: CDE 2 isn't likely to be showing
up on other Unix operating systems in the near future --- the Unix
vendors will have to merge it in with their product cycles.

--

        Chris Flatters

1. Console lock up with Lantronix Console Server SCS3200

I am having issues with the consoles on my Sun's.  The problems have
started since I connected the consoles to a Lantronix Console server,
SCS3200.

My Sun's are 2 flavors: serial port is a DB25 connection or a RJ45
connection.

My 220R/280R's use the DB25's.  These consoles work for awhile, but
then the consoles just lock up.  Even if I disconnect the console from
the Lantroix and hook it to a laptop, the console is still dead.  Its
like Solaris has disabled it or something.  But if I reboot the sun,
the console works again for a bit.

My V210's have the RJ45 connections.  They die after a while also, but
with these, if I HUP the console process, the console wakes back up and
starts to work again.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  All of these suns work fine if I do not
connect them to the Lantronix box.

Thanks,

Paul

2. What's FreeBSD Like??

3. XScreenSaver lock -> lock console

4. Bug: root bypasses all permissions

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. install problems

7. qwcl on Linux locks up console

8. RH 5.2 X

9. Linux console lock?

10. Need Console Lock in Linux 2.6

11. Q: emacs font lock on linux console?

12. CDE, CDE, CDE, --- !@#%^*_(!#$

13. CDE : Screen saver must lock the screen