XFree86 and Radeon

Post by Dale Bibe » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:31:48

I recently purchased a system with an ATI Radeon and added Redhat 7.0 as
dual boot.  Installed X had no drivers for ATI Radeon.  ATI says go to
XFree86.  XFree86 site says in release 4.0.2 summary that it contains new
Radeon drivers.  Downloaded and upgraded, but it still doesn't show up in
video card list.  Am I doing something wrong?

XFree86 and Radeon

Post by skitzoph.. » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:10:48

I've had the exact same experience. If you figure it out please let me
know.

Quote:> I recently purchased a system with an ATI Radeon and added Redhat 7.0
as
> dual boot.  Installed X had no drivers for ATI Radeon.  ATI says go
> XFree86.  XFree86 site says in release 4.0.2 summary that it contains
new
> Radeon drivers.  Downloaded and upgraded, but it still doesn't show
up in
> video card list.  Am I doing something wrong?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

XFree86 and Radeon

Post by ad.. » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:37:33

> I've had the exact same experience. If you figure it out please let me
> know.

It is supported...  Trying running:

XFree86 -configure

from the command line...  This should produce a rough working copy
of an XF86Config file.  You might need to make some modifications to it,
but this will at least get you started.

Adam

XFree86 and Radeon

Post by MP3S » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:30:10

XFree86 -configure does make the Radeon choice appear...  The old command
xf86config (or whatever the heck it is) does not show the Radeon
choice...  I am running Mandrake 8.0 Beta (which has XFree86 4.0.2 as part
of the distribution) but I still cannot get X to start w/ my AIW
Radeon...  Says something about "screens" not being configured
properly...  Unfortunately I don't know how to configure "screens" yet...
Any suggestions..?

> > I've had the exact same experience. If you figure it out please let me
> > know.

> It is supported...  Trying running:

> XFree86 -configure

> from the command line...  This should produce a rough working copy
> of an XF86Config file.  You might need to make some modifications to it,
> but this will at least get you started.

> Adam

XFree86 and Radeon

Post by Adam K Kirchhof » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:33:42

> XFree86 -configure does make the Radeon choice appear...

What do you mean it makes the Radeon choice appear?  XFree86 -configure
isn't supposed to give you any choices.  It's supposed to create an
outline of an XF86Config file based on the video card(s) it detects in
your computer.

Adam

XFree86 and Radeon

Post by Malloc The Fre » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:49:54

If you are running the ATI Radeon VE (dual monitor edition), it is not
supported by XFree86 yet.
I have the same problem.  Accellerated X expects to have this driver
available soon, and it seems no one else is working on it.

Accellerated-X can be found at http://www.xig.com

I'm waiting too.  I like the card, and Linux is better than Windoze.  I may
have to return the card, because I don't rely on vaporware.

> XFree86 -configure does make the Radeon choice appear...  The old command
> xf86config (or whatever the heck it is) does not show the Radeon
> choice...  I am running Mandrake 8.0 Beta (which has XFree86 4.0.2 as part
> of the distribution) but I still cannot get X to start w/ my AIW
> Radeon...  Says something about "screens" not being configured
> properly...  Unfortunately I don't know how to configure "screens" yet...
> Any suggestions..?

> > > I've had the exact same experience. If you figure it out please let me
> > > know.

> > It is supported...  Trying running:

> > XFree86 -configure

> > from the command line...  This should produce a rough working copy
> > of an XF86Config file.  You might need to make some modifications to it,
> > but this will at least get you started.

> > Adam

> --

1. Radeon Radeon Radeon

Hi there,
I have just the same prob.
I have the 64MB version and used
the rpms from suse to upgrade to xfree 402.
I thought this would be cool.
Now I know, I am not a linux expert.
The result is, no sax, sax2 supported.
I tried to set the xf86config, the way described in
the readme and so on
.............. ?

I think I will start to kill myself.

Can anyone help ?

Holger

2. NT vs Linux (was: Re: truth or dare)

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. redirection std output and std error from within the script

5. Radeon VE output & XFree86 4.1.0

6. Booting from /dev/hdc using lilo

7. XFree86 4.1.0 - Radeon AIW

8. NIS mail Aliases

9. xfree86 + radeon mobility

10. XFree86, Radeon 8500LE 128DDR

11. XFree86: will 4.2 support DVI on ATI Radeon?

12. AMD761, RADEON and Xfree86 4.1.0 problem

13. Radeon/Irongate/Xfree86 Issue