Netscape Slow & Memory leak under RH52/KDE

Netscape Slow & Memory leak under RH52/KDE

Post by Daniel TON » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I found out that my computer with 96 MB RAM has been really slow while
just running Netscape  (a grand total of one window only, not a dozen).
It  started off with only 35-36 MB  of free memory and  dwindling down
to nil until Netscape froze up.

Any input as to how I should  remedy this would be most appreciated.

Daniel
Toronto

Post by Vlad D. Mark » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

|> I found out that my computer with 96 MB RAM has been really slow while
|> just running Netscape  (a grand total of one window only, not a dozen).
|> It  started off with only 35-36 MB  of free memory and  dwindling down
|> to nil until Netscape froze up.
|>
|> Any input as to how I should  remedy this would be most appreciated.
|>
|> Daniel
|> Toronto

You won't get too far without the version of Netscape you are running.
I have had Netscape eat all available RAM from:
1. Poorly written Java Applets - there are a kazillion out there.
2. Poorly written plug-ins - I was the author of this one.

My favorite browser is Lynx but my wife & kids use Netscape. Besides the two
problems I mentioned, it works well. I use NS4.07 on an i486 with 24MB of RAM
under RedHat 5.2.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I found out that my computer with 96 MB RAM has been really slow while
>just running Netscape  (a grand total of one window only, not a dozen).
>It  started off with only 35-36 MB  of free memory and  dwindling down
>to nil until Netscape froze up.

>Any input as to how I should  remedy this would be most appreciated.

>Daniel
>Toronto

If you are running a version older than 4.08, get to RedHat's site or a
mirror and update it.  Just make sure you get all the parts.  I think
first time around, I updated Navigator, but not the base files and things
still did not work quite right until I upgraded the Netscape base files as
well.  But I have never used KDE.

--

http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/

1. Netscape/KDE memory leak?

    Got an interesting problem here.  AI've got a roommate that I've given
access to my linux box.  She gets into X with KDE, hops into Netscape to
read her web based email and does nothing else.  Netscape brings my machine
to its knees withint 40 or so minutes because it constantly grows in size.
It starts out around 6Mb and by the time it crashes it exceeds 30Mb and
overruns my swap.  This is the only time that my machine touches swap so I'm
not about to screw with my partitions to add more when it shouldn't even be
getting there in the first place.

    This is running Netscape v4.04, KDE Beta-3, QT 1.32, 2.0.33 Kernel and
whatever libs comes with Slackware 3.2.  I've tried the gnumalloc.so fix to
no avail so I am wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and knows a
way to fix it.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my

2. No target

3. Netscape not working under RH52/KDE

4. Help