Scrambled screen with Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA

Scrambled screen with Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA

Post by vp24n.. » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I've posted this problem a number of times, but nobody seems
to understand what I am talking about, so I will try to explain it better.

I have a Diamond Stealth VRAM, ISA, 1MB. Its an older Diamond card.
S3_924 accelerator chip. "normal" RAMDAC (the only value XF86_S3 will take).

XFree86 3.1.1, standard installation with XF86_S3 server.

Under XF86_VGA16, everything looks great.

Under XF86_S3, I have problems:
The black-and-white "checker" pattern that _SHOULD_ cover the whole
screen as X starts up _ONLY SHOWS UP IN SMALL SQUARES IN RANDOM LOCATIONS
THROUGHOUT THE VIRTUAL DESKTOP_.
When the virtual pager comes up in fvwm, there is a black or purple
"shadow" below it, the exact shape and size of the virtual pager.
When I open the mouse-menu to select an option, the FONTS ARE GARBLED.
Refreshing the screen changes everything to SOLID BLACK.
Moving the virtual pager around leaves a TRAIL OF "COPIES" behind.
rxvts are UNUSABLE, they are so garbled.

Here is a synopsis of attempted fixes:
Option "slow_vram" is invalid.
Option "diamond" is invalid.
Option "dac_8_bit" is invalid.
XF86_S3 version 3.1.2 server, with all the "Options" behaves exactly the same
as the XF86_S3 version 3.1.1 server with no "Options".

People have this card working with XF86 3.1.1, why can't any of them
tell me what they did to fix it?

This video card is all I have, I have $0 to buy another.
Or did Diamond do what Radio Shack did with their crappy CDR-1000's:
build some with one part and some with another, so you have a 1-in-2
chance of getting one that "works fine with linux"?

Post by Annius Groeni » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Under XF86_S3, I have problems:
>The black-and-white "checker" pattern that _SHOULD_ cover the whole
>screen as X starts up _ONLY SHOWS UP IN SMALL SQUARES IN RANDOM LOCATIONS
>THROUGHOUT THE VIRTUAL DESKTOP_.
>When the virtual pager comes up in fvwm, there is a black or purple
>"shadow" below it, the exact shape and size of the virtual pager.
>When I open the mouse-menu to select an option, the FONTS ARE GARBLED.
>Refreshing the screen changes everything to SOLID BLACK.
>Moving the virtual pager around leaves a TRAIL OF "COPIES" behind.
>rxvts are UNUSABLE, they are so garbled.

What really helped on my ISA 928 board is Option "nomemaccess".
It would prevent all sorts of garbling and pixel noise.  But that
was probably because my main board ran at 50MHz.

Who knows, it may help.

--

1098 SJ Amsterdam  | Room M233 ext. 4077     | NL 1100 AB Amsterdam
The Netherlands    | Phone:  +31 20 592 4077 | Phone: +31 20 695 9901

Scrambled screen with Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA

Post by Bob Nup » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>> I have a Diamond Stealth VRAM, ISA, 1MB. Its an older
>> Diamond card.  S3_924 accelerator chip. "normal" RAMDAC
>> (the only value XF86_S3 will take).

This is the same card I have.  I just got it working for the
first time two days ago.  I struggled for 6 months to get it
to work under XFree86 3.1.1, and never got past getting it
in unaccelerated VGA mode (not that I did not try).

I now have it working with XFree86 3.1.2, where it has native
support and it makes an incredible difference.  The new setup
utility now included with the X distribution is great, and it
had the Diamond Stealth VRAM as one of the preset options.

If you are interested, I can send my XF86Config file.  The
only possible surprise is the use of a "ClockChip" line,
instead of a "Clock" line.

I cannot emphasize enough the benefit of upgrading to 3.1.2.
Although people do have the Diamond Stealth VRAM working under
3.1.1, it is with a lot of manual labor that 3.1.2 now does
for you for free!

-Bob