Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by MARCADE Gerar » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I have installed RedHat 4.2 on my PC. I have setup the parameters of
Xconfig with configX from Metro-X. Everything is OK except the mouse. I
cannot move the mouse pointer with my Microsoft mouse. I tried many
different setup but nothing happened. This mouse works fine under Windows
95. I don't understand what is wrong. Does anyone see this problem before?
How can do to test my mouse under Linux?

--
MARCADE Gerard
3F-2 N38-1 Lane 72

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  MARCADE> I have installed RedHat 4.2 on my PC. I have setup the
  MARCADE> parameters of Xconfig with configX from Metro-X. Everything
  MARCADE> is OK except the mouse. I cannot move the mouse pointer
  MARCADE> with my Microsoft mouse. I tried many different setup but
  MARCADE> nothing happened. This mouse works fine under Windows 95. I
  MARCADE> don't understand what is wrong. Does anyone see this
  MARCADE> problem before?  How can do to test my mouse under Linux?

Type "mousetest".

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Wolfgang Ewer » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have an interesting problem trying to run Xfree86 3.1.1 with my
> brand-spanking-new (to me) TGUI 9660 card.  It seems to be ignoring
> whatever virtual resolution is specified in my /etc/XF86Config file.

> I am told:

> Fatal server error:
> (--) SVGA: Too Little VideoRam for Accelerator Engine
> (--) SVGA: Required resolution with accelerator is 2048x1200.
> (--) SVGA: Reduce your Virtual X resolution to 1024, or use Option
> "noaccel".

> However, nowhere in my /etc/XF86Config file is a Virtual resolution of
> 2048x1200 specified.  When I run at 16bpp, I am told the Required
> resolution with accelerator is 2048x900, despite the Virtual section
> in the file being (apparently) 1152x900.  When run at 32bpp, it claims
> to be looking for 1024x600, when it's actually 800x600.

> Despite my having put a ScreenNo of 1 on the "accel" driver, it
> appears to be using the "svga" driver, and substituting the X
> parameter of the Virtual section with the next largest power of 2.

Quote:> (**) SVGA: Monitor ID: "KFC"
> (--) SVGA: Mode "640x480" needs hsync freq of 53.01 kHz. Deleted.

...[Many other modes mentioned as deleted skipped]

Quote:> (--) SVGA: Mode "1800X1440" needs hsync freq of 104.52 kHz. Deleted.

Is there any confusion between your video card and monitor settings?

        Wolfgang

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Ian COWEL » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>   MARCADE> I have installed RedHat 4.2 on my PC. I have setup the
>   MARCADE> parameters of Xconfig with configX from Metro-X. Everything
>   MARCADE> is OK except the mouse. I cannot move the mouse pointer
>   MARCADE> with my Microsoft mouse. I tried many different setup but
>   MARCADE> nothing happened. This mouse works fine under Windows 95. I
>   MARCADE> don't understand what is wrong. Does anyone see this
>   MARCADE> problem before?  How can do to test my mouse under Linux?

> Type "mousetest".

On Redhat 4.1 the setup in /etc/X11/Xconfig had:
Mouse Serial_Microsoft  /dev/ttyS0
I changed this to:
Mouse Serial_Microsoft  /dev/cua0
and that fixed my mouse problem. I did not attempt to
understand why this would be so.

My /dev has:
/dev/mouse -> /dev/cua0

May be the problem is some interaction between gpm and Xserver,
but that is a shot in the dark.
--
Ian Cowell

----------------------

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Doc Shiple » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have installed RedHat 4.2 on my PC. I have setup the parameters of
> Xconfig with configX from Metro-X. Everything is OK except the mouse. I
> cannot move the mouse pointer with my Microsoft mouse. I tried many
> different setup but nothing happened. This mouse works fine under Windows
> 95. I don't understand what is wrong. Does anyone see this problem before?
> How can do to test my mouse under Linux?

> --
> MARCADE Gerard
> 3F-2 N38-1 Lane 72
> GUANG HUA 2nd Street
> HSINCHU
> TAIWAN R.O.C.
> Tel :      00 886 3 542 30 47

   I don't know if your mouse is serial or bus, but I ended up configuring my
MS 'Inport' bus mouse as an ATI bus mouse for gpm, and as a BusMouse
/dev/mouse in XF86Setup. Don't ask me why.... Both my bus card & mouse are
genuine Microsoft, but if I tell RedHat that, it don't work.
  Not only all that, but during boot, right before RH recognizes and installs
my " ATI bus mouse", there's a line that detects a Logitech bus mouse on IRQ
7.
  'Splain THAT wonderment.....

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Doc Shiple » Sat, 25 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I have installed RedHat 4.2 on my PC. I have setup the parameters of
> Xconfig with configX from Metro-X. Everything is OK except the mouse. I
> cannot move the mouse pointer with my Microsoft mouse. I tried many
> different setup but nothing happened. This mouse works fine under Windows
> 95. I don't understand what is wrong. Does anyone see this problem before?
> How can do to test my mouse under Linux?

> --

   I don't know if your mouse is serial or bus, but I ended up configuring my
MS 'Inport' bus mouse as an ATI bus mouse for gpm, and as a BusMouse
/dev/mouse in XF86Setup. Don't ask me why.... Both my bus card & mouse are
genuine Microsoft, but if I tell RedHat that, it don't work.
  Not only all that, but during boot, right before RH recognizes and installs
my " ATI bus mouse", there's a line that detects a Logitech bus mouse on IRQ
7.
  'Splain THAT wonderment.....

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Hans Kristian Erikse » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I do not know what  mouse you are using. I had the same problem, but with
> Microsoft
> Mouse 2.1a. When I use Microsoft Mouse 2.0, there is no problem at all.

Ahh. Yes, my mouse is a 2.1a... Thank you for the tip, I'll try to change it.

Hans Kristian

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Theunis de Jong » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I'm having the same problem: The mouse pointer won't move in X. That is, if
> gpm is running when I start X. I have to kill gpm (gpm -k) before starting X.
> And then my windows doesn't appear on the screen until I push the middle mouse
> button... And there are several other bugs... But it works...

I do not know what  mouse you are using. I had the same problem, but with
Microsoft
Mouse 2.1a. When I use Microsoft Mouse 2.0, there is no problem at all.

Theunis de Jongh

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by tors.. » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm having the same problem: The mouse pointer won't move in X. That is, if
> gpm is running when I start X. I have to kill gpm (gpm -k) before starting X.
> And then my windows doesn't appear on the screen until I push the middle mouse
> button... And there are several other bugs... But it works...

        GPM does not function with X if you have a PS/2 type mouse.
--

Torsten

Help get Linux noticed - we are at four MILLION linux boxes on-line!
        There are SEVEN million PowerPC's.  Let's get 'em.
                Full RC5-64 Cracking Directions at http://www.linuxnet.org
                        Join Team Linux.

TO REPLY:  respell altantic to atlantic in reply.

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Robrecht Jacque » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> > I do not know what  mouse you are using. I had the same problem, but with
> > Microsoft
> > Mouse 2.1a. When I use Microsoft Mouse 2.0, there is no problem at all.

> Ahh. Yes, my mouse is a 2.1a... Thank you for the tip, I'll try to change it.

Or get gpm-1.13
and run 'gpm -t pnp -R'
and config X to read its data from '/dev/gpmdata' as MouseSystem protocol
read the gpm-docs for more...

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Etheridg » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have had the same trouble when using an M$ Intellimouse, I don't run
gpm at all and still hav ethe same problem.
What version of the M$ Mouse are you using? (check the bottom of the
mouse). If it's version 2.1 then you are stuffed! M$ have changed the
Mouse protocol. The result being that Linux can't detect the mouse. If
you load X, unplug the mouse and then plug it back in the pointer will work!
I don't know about you but I don't want to do this too often as it will
eventually kill your socket (and the mouse?).

Has anyone manager to fix this yet? New mouse driver or some other way of
detecting a mouse. (Even if it means running a script when you start X?

Dave

*       UserID: de5af                            *

> I'm having the same problem: The mouse pointer won't move in X. That is, if
> gpm is running when I start X. I have to kill gpm (gpm -k) before starting X.
> And then my windows doesn't appear on the screen until I push the middle mouse
> button... And there are several other bugs... But it works...

Xfree86 + TGUI 9660

Post by Edin Bektesevi » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

BTW, I have an IntelliMouse connected to my PS/2 port. I configured it as an
ordinary PS/2 mouse.
Is there a way of saying to the X that the mouse is connected to PS/2 *AND*
is an IntelliMouse?
Does defining the mouse that way makes any extra use of its roller &
roller-buton anyway, I mean, is it worth it to start with?

Regards,
/edin

Etheridge skrev i meddelandet ...

Quote:>I have had the same trouble when using an M$ Intellimouse, I don't run
>gpm at all and still hav ethe same problem.

1. Could XFree86 support TGUI 9660 ?

I have a VGA card which is TGUI 9660.
Could XFree86 support it?
I can't find this card in the list of XF86 config.

Chen-Kow Yuan   Computer Science Department, University of Southern California

URL   : http://www-scf.usc.edu/~ckyuan, http://www.ccit.edu.tw/cs/teacher/yuan
Tel   : (310)6188484

2. HD not supported in RH5.1 setup -> cannot install

3. TGUI 9660 flicker with XFree86 4.1.0

4. network card help please

5. Trident TGUI 9660/968x/968x cannot be setup with X

6. problem with usage syntax

7. TGUI 9660 and CTX 1565d

8. Problems with ethernet (continued)

9. TGUI 9660 and CTX 1565

10. TGUI 9660/9680 X installation -- need help!!!

11. TGUI 9440/9660/9680 and XFree/SVGATextMode support

12. XFree86 3.2 with Trident 9660

13. XFree86 testers wanted for Trident 9660/9680