USRobotics Modem on Redhat 4.2

Post by Didier Richar » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Anyone knowing how to get an internal USRobotics modem to work with
linux ? the link in '/dev/modem' is correctly set (to the right CUA, i
mean), but that *y card doesn't even make a noise, nor tries it to
get the phone line, and not at all to reach my PPP-provider. It works
fine with another OS4PCs, but doesn't exist as soon as Loadlin startded.
that's a sportster winmodem, are the 3 lethal letters the problem ?
Merci d'avance
Didier

USRobotics Modem on Redhat 4.2

Post by cjparke » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

In a word: YUP!

> Anyone knowing how to get an internal USRobotics modem to work with
> linux ? the link in '/dev/modem' is correctly set (to the right CUA, i
> mean), but that *y card doesn't even make a noise, nor tries it to
> get the phone line, and not at all to reach my PPP-provider. It works
> fine with another OS4PCs, but doesn't exist as soon as Loadlin startded.
> that's a sportster winmodem, are the 3 lethal letters the problem ?
> Merci d'avance
> Didier

USRobotics Modem on Redhat 4.2

Post by Gerall Kahl » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

The Winmodem line from USRobotics do not have the chip on
them that holds the hardwired modem command set.

With out it's Virus95 software giving it cues from offstage,
it doesn't understand what AT commands are.  Truly
unfortunate.  All the other modems from USR I've tried work
_VERY_ well.  I guess they were only interested in marketing
with this series...

Bon chance!
--
+====================================================+
Hackin' cuz the Goddess told me to-- | Linux & VRML

+====================================================+

USRobotics Modem on Redhat 4.2

Post by Brett R. Rossel » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 05 Nov 1997 20:29:57 -0800, cjparker

>In a word: YUP!

<Nodding head> Trash that WinModem. It's worthless without Win95.
(Which really means it's always worthless).

The WinModem is lacking some important hardware, and you can't upgrade
it.

Brett

1. modem connection in Redhat 4.2

OK, how do I get RedHat 4.2 to connect to my service provider (North
Dakota Higher Education Computing Network) in a simillar fasion as WIN95
does?  The school has software for win95 (at
http://ndsu.nodak.edu/helpdesk under home access) but I don't even know
how to open and read the scripts to see what I have to set the
configuration as when I'm running LINUX.  And even if I could I don't know
where to even start as far as entering the nessessary info.

And, (as if I didn't have enought to be confused by) I don't know if LINUX
sees my modem, it's a USRobotics 33.6 Fax/Voice modem, and I was told to
take off all the jumpers to make it "plug and play" but I think that means
it doesn't really have an assigned "com" port so I don't know where to
tell LINUX to even look for the modem.

Can anyone help me?  Or is there more info I need to know to be able to do
this?

Rob

2. SunTech License and hostnames

3. Redhat 4.2 can't find modem

4. Wanted: Solaris-8-SPARC driver for 3Com enet card

5. IBM Mwave modem & Redhat 4.2?

6. Sharing data between processes

7. Redhat 8.0 and usrobotics modem

8. Configuring /etc/system in 2.3 - HELP

9. How do I install a ActionTec PNP 56k modem on Redhat 4.2

10. ppp/null modem/redhat 4.2?

11. DHCP script (redhat 4.2) [was Re: Anyone using a cable modem with Linux]

12. RedHat 4.2 and VXpro+ Chipset and PC-tel modem and Crystal 4237B sound -- any possible problem?

13. Redhat 8.0 and usrobotics modem