1. eth0 up + Xinside's AcceleratedX = CRASH
I have an interesting problem here, I recently installed a network card
(NE2000) in my machine and started to get seemingly random lock ups when
starting X (via xinit, running Xinside's AcceleratedX server v1.2)
However, I've managed to isolated down to a fairly simple condition - if the
ethernet device is configured to be up, i.e. I run:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 x.x.x.x
.. and I start X, it locks up tight - CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work,
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE doesn't work, numlock doesn't even go on - all disk
activity halts and I have to hit reset.
However, if I take down the ethernet device:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
X runs flawlessly. Furthermore, I can pull the ethernet back up, once in X,
with no problems whatsoever.
I don't know where the problem lies, with the X server, or the card, or the
network drivers, but if anyone's seen anything similar, I'd love to hear how
you dealt with it.
16 megs RAM
linux v1.3.59 + alan's latest patches (but I've reproduced the problem on
1.3.45 and 1.3.57)
I've got the ethernet stuff compiled as modules and both are installed
properly - I'm *not* using kerneld. Ethernet works flawlessly, with and
without X loaded. It is only on startup that X locks up if eth0 is
Thanks in advance & ttul
Baba baby mama shaggy papa baba bro baba rock a shaggy baba sister
shag saggy hey doc baba baby shaggy hey baba can you dig it baba baba
E7 E3 90 7E 16 2E F3 45 * Stuart Smith * 28 24 2E C6 03 02 37 5C
2. Start httpd at bootup
3. dosemu error: /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist
4. Switch2Linux Website
5. DOSEMU: Newbie question: can't lauch dosemu from dos floppy
6. tar create from stdin
7. Matrox Mystique ands X.
8. Any mistakes for my SYSLOG file?
9. Why can't XFree86 be as easy to setup as AcceleratedX
10. XInside's Accelerated X *ALMOST* works with S3-ViRGE!
11. Xinside's Xaccel and multiple graphics virtual consoles
12. Xinside's toll-free phone number
13. Xinside's Accel-X 1.2b5