How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?

How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?

Post by Diane Whart » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

PPP connection under root is fine, but I want to connect as a user.
I have changed permissions on the various internet-relevant files in
the /etc and /etc/ppp directories so that they are world readable /
writable.
I have given the group "users" access to usr/sbin/pppd and to diald
because when I first typed pppd as a user, I got the message:
"pppd command not found", so I reckoned it was a permission problem.
This still didn't solve it so I added the paths /usr/sbin and /etc to
my .profile file and that seems to have got me a bit further. It's
still not right, because I seem to connect very briefly and the
message pppd died unexpectedly appears.  This only happens
when I try to connect as a user, not as root.
I don't know what needs to be altered - any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot,
Diane

How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?

Post by Jason Melle » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Just use the command chmod u+s /usr/sbin/ppd
I hope it works,
Jason

Post by VHA PC Developmen » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Just use the command chmod u+s /usr/sbin/ppd
> I hope it works,
> Jason

> >PPP connection under root is fine, but I want to connect as a user.
> >I have changed permissions on the various internet-relevant files in
> >the /etc and /etc/ppp directories so that they are world readable /
> >writable.
> >I have given the group "users" access to usr/sbin/pppd and to diald
> >because when I first typed pppd as a user, I got the message:
> >"pppd command not found", so I reckoned it was a permission problem.
> >This still didn't solve it so I added the paths /usr/sbin and /etc to
> >my .profile file and that seems to have got me a bit further. It's
> >still not right, because I seem to connect very briefly and the
> >message pppd died unexpectedly appears.  This only happens
> >when I try to connect as a user, not as root.
> >I don't know what needs to be altered - any suggestions ?

> >Thanks a lot,
> >Diane

You may also try adding the user's name or group to the ppp-users in
groups.  There may be some security risks involved in doing so though...

--

=======================================

=======================================
My opinions are mine alone - though others may borrow...

Post by Steven M. Harringt » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>PPP connection under root is fine, but I want to connect as a user.
>I have changed permissions on the various internet-relevant files in
>the /etc and /etc/ppp directories so that they are world readable /
>writable.
>I have given the group "users" access to usr/sbin/pppd and to diald
>because when I first typed pppd as a user, I got the message:
>"pppd command not found", so I reckoned it was a permission problem.
>This still didn't solve it so I added the paths /usr/sbin and /etc to
>my .profile file and that seems to have got me a bit further. It's
>still not right, because I seem to connect very briefly and the
>message pppd died unexpectedly appears.  This only happens
>when I try to connect as a user, not as root.
>I don't know what needs to be altered - any suggestions ?

Changing all the permissions is a bad thing.  A much better approach
is to use Phil Hughes' "PPP control by mortals" suid program. This
was published in the Linux Journal May '97 and available from their
web site.
--
Steve

1. PPP works as root, but not as user

Hi,

after a couple of hours, I finally managed to get my PPP connection to my ISP
running. But it works only as root, not with a username. There, I get the
error message "PPP not supported". I am using SuSE 5.3 and installed PPP with
Yast.

What is wrong? ( The scripts in /etc/suseppp and elsewhere are chmoded
correctly)

Any idea?

Karl

2. xinit raises floating point exception

3. System sounds work for root, not for user

4. How do I diagnose a hung system?

5. PPP working, /etc/ppp/ip-up not working, HELP Please

6. ipfw firewall script for ADSL gateway

7. Sounds work in root, but not in user

8. loopback interface simulation

9. starting user ppp not as root

10. Please Help: XF86Config works as root but not as user!

11. How to start RedHat PPP as user (not root)

12. newgrp not working for non-root users (slackware)

13. OpenSSH works for root but not for regular users