Can't run scripts from netscape

Post by William Isenberg » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm new to Linux and X Windows.

I can't get netscape to run perl scripts. The scripts are located on
my machine and I am not connected to any server. The scripts work fine
when run from the command prompt or XTerm. But when activated thru
netscape (like with a form post), netscape just shows the contents of
the script file. Pleez help!

Post by Luis de la Ros » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I'm new to Linux and X Windows.

> I can't get netscape to run perl scripts. The scripts are located on
> my machine and I am not connected to any server. The scripts work fine
> when run from the command prompt or XTerm. But when activated thru
> netscape (like with a form post), netscape just shows the contents of
> the script file. Pleez help!

Will,
Since you are running one of the finest operating systems ever made,
go get yourself NCSA's httpd Web Server, install it, and run it.
Then put your perl scripts in the cgi-bin directory
(or in the htdocs directory if you get 1.5.x or higher)
and your perl scripts will then run fine.
The reason why you get the contents is that the default viewing mode
for Netscape is just to read ascii.
However, when they are handled by a server, the server will recognize
that they are CGI scripts and then pipe the data to the script as
STDIN and then output onto the browser's screen what the output of
the script is.  Get it?

So go get yourself a web server... Try:
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu
They even have a feature which compiles and configures everything
for you right on the spot.  Check it out!

BTW, if you are running RedHat 2.1, you already have the Apache
server installed and running.  You just need to modify the
configuration files in /etc/httpd
and then install your perl scripts into /home/httpd/cgi-bin or
/home/httpd/html (although you'll have to enable the magic
file type .cgi to do this...)

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at

Can't run scripts from netscape

Post by Paul Brandariz x65 » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > I'm new to Linux and X Windows.
: >
[...]

Well I get it too... I just wonder why in the world would they
limit execution of scripts to the server and not provide a functionality
to execute scripts from the browser.

Hell they could add a URL name exec (analogous to file) so you could
call a script or any local executable as.

        exec:/thisdir/thatdir/executable

Is it that netscape can sell more servers that way ??

: If you have any more questions, feel free to email me at

KLA Instruments Corp
P.O. Box 49055
San Jose, CA 95161-9055

Can't run scripts from netscape

Post by Thomas J Quin » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
You can run scripts from the client as Helper Apps.
Just set up the Mime types on BOTH machines and have the script on the server... ie
an executable... or perl or shell for linux.

Tom.

--
The opinions expressed in this communication are my own,
  and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

1. Running Netscape's dbconv CGI script offline

As part of the administrative software that comes with their Netsite server,
Netscape provides a CGI script called dbconv that converts NCSA-style
user:password databases to the DBM format the server uses.  I would like to
use dbconv outside the CGI environment so I tried the following:

    bash# export NETSITE_ROOT=~httpd/netscape
    bash# export REQUEST_METHOD=POST
    bash# echo 'db_conv=/tmp/pwd&encrypted=0&db_name=foo&overwrite=1&useadmin=0' \
        | ~httpd/netscape/bin/https/admin/bin/dbconv

and got in reply:

    <h1 align=center>Catastrophic error</h1>
    Cannot open any administrative HTML files.

I also tried setting the CONFIG_DIR environment variable, but the result was
the same.

Has anybody else out there tried (and succeeded) at running any of the admin
CGI scripts in a non-CGI environment?  Any feedback appreciated.

Internet Conference Calendar: http://www.calendar.com/conferences/
               >>> ZLDF: http://www.netresponse.com/zldf <<<

2. Guaranteeing process slices...

3. netscape install script won't run

4. aclocal

5. Can't run Netscape running XDM and fvwm

6. Help needed - setting up D-link print server

7. 'sh' script spawning Sun 'cmdtool' running program

8. acer 730C installation?

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. problem Netscape Communicator 4.03 not running but netscape 3.04 is running

11. ksh script leaving 'running jobs' that aren't

12. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts