Trying to get Xwindows to work [Newbie]

Post by Robert McLoughli » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I just received a copy of RedHat 5.2 in the mail today (my first time with
Linux ever), and I tried to install Xwindows.  I typed xconf from the root
directory, and followed the instructions, and entered in the custom
Horizontal Sync Range and Vertical Sync Range that goes with my monitor.
When I came to the video card selection, I checked the list it provided and
found my exact card (surprisingly).  I have a Stealth64 Video VRAM card.  I
finished the config, and promptly was told to type startx to boot up
xwindows, so I do that and the screen proceeds to go blank as it boots up.
After awhile my harddrive stops accessing and the screen is still blank.  I
hit alt-control-backspace to exit xwindows (hoping i was in fact in it
despite my screen), and I am kicked out and back to the root, yet my entire
screen is filled with white vertical lines about 3 cm apart.
I tried fiddling with the xconf and even tried XF86Setup (which runs
perfectly), yet I still can not manage to get Xwindows to boot up
properly...Any help would be much appreciated.

Robert McLoughlin

Trying to get Xwindows to work [Newbie]

Post by Wowi » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

# cd
# jed .xinitc

add this to the file

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker

or afterstep or whatever windowmanager u have..
if your going to use wmaker ..run wmaker.inst first...

hope this helps

> I just received a copy of RedHat 5.2 in the mail today (my first time with
> Linux ever), and I tried to install Xwindows.  I typed xconf from the root
> directory, and followed the instructions, and entered in the custom
> Horizontal Sync Range and Vertical Sync Range that goes with my monitor.
> When I came to the video card selection, I checked the list it provided and
> found my exact card (surprisingly).  I have a Stealth64 Video VRAM card.  I
> finished the config, and promptly was told to type startx to boot up
> xwindows, so I do that and the screen proceeds to go blank as it boots up.
> After awhile my harddrive stops accessing and the screen is still blank.  I
> hit alt-control-backspace to exit xwindows (hoping i was in fact in it
> despite my screen), and I am kicked out and back to the root, yet my entire
> screen is filled with white vertical lines about 3 cm apart.
> I tried fiddling with the xconf and even tried XF86Setup (which runs
> perfectly), yet I still can not manage to get Xwindows to boot up
> properly...Any help would be much appreciated.

> Robert McLoughlin

1. Newbie Q: Getting message 'RPC program not registered ' when trying to mount

I have recently managed to get networking to connect between my laptop
and desktop machines, I can ping each machine but if I try to mount a
NFS filesystem from either end I get the error ' RPC program not
registered' can someone tell me how I do this, I have found no
reference to this in the manuals.

Any help gratefully accepted

2. How do I access mails in Outlook on Linux

3. HELP: Any luck getting RedHat7 XWindows working on Inspiron5000e??

4. SQL vulnerabilities and MS

5. Need Help Getting Xwindows to work!

6. Solaris 2.4 IP Forwarding Question

7. Problems getting Xwindows to work.

8. Permissions problems on jdk12_pre-v2_test

9. *** Getting Xwindows (XFREE) to work

10. Getting Xwindows to work

11. my mouse won't work....getting out of xwindows...

12. getting XWindows to work with my monitor

13. Trying to get IP-MASQ to work and getting frustrated