Help with setting up 2 monitors using X

Post by Gurinder Sandh » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to setup 2 monitors using X11R6 on Linux.  Can anybody give
me some pointers to information on this or start me off in the direction
required.  I will have 2 video cards and 2 monitors.  I will setup the
XF86Config file for both cards and monitors.

How do the monitors get their monitor numbers and how do I get the mouse
to go and forth between the two monitors?  Can I also run two different
window managers?  I want one monitor to be running with 256 colors while
the other will support 64K or 16M colors.

Any help is appreciated.  I would also appreciate a mail response in
case I miss the posting responses.

Regards

--
Gurinder Sandhu

(604) 602-3107

Post by Tom Klud » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to setup 2 monitors using X11R6 on Linux.  Can anybody give
> me some pointers to information on this or start me off in the direction
> required.  I will have 2 video cards and 2 monitors.  I will setup the
> XF86Config file for both cards and monitors.

This indicates you are using XFree86.. AFAIK XFree does not support dual
monitors.  (I tried it once myself, with no luck)

Metro-X, however, does.. much simpler to set up, too.  I've used this
with a Cirrus CLGD5434 and Matrox Millenium, with excellent results.

Good Luck

| Tom Kludy             |  Taos Mountain    | Silicon Graphics, Inc |
| Pager: (415) 253-3244 |  (415) 813-0900   | (415) 933-8474        |
    My opinions are not representative of Taos Mountain or of SGI