XV (slakware) lacking crucial binary?

Post by Joshua Sutterfiel » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

hello thar.  I recently have been downloading some config scripts for my window manager so hopefully i can get snazzy backgrounds and a nice customized environment (just recently installed linux and X).  I noticed that all the graphics customization generally involves calls in the script to xv, and I don't have this stinking binary for some reason... I've installed the XV package twice, once from a cdrom, once from ftp.umr.edu/pub/slackware-3.2/slakware
now, the dern thing installs manpages for the xv command itself, but never actually installs the command...
a friend suggested that this has something to do with a file i lack called
audin.dat
but i have no clue about that either.
similar problem with "xtoolplaces" called by owplaces which needs to execute successfully in order to save my current window environment stuff... xtoolplaces simply isnt there but its manpage is...

so, more generally, anyone have any idea why packages would install manpages and not the actual corresponding binaries?

Thanks
Josh Sutterfield

(if you could also cc any replies to this to that email addy, that'd be really cool)

1. lack of ld.so (SPARC running SunOS binaries)

I'm having a problem running the Cygnus  Source Navigator for SunOS
under Linux for SPARC (redhat 4.2).  The error is:

% /usr/local/snavigator/bin/snavigator
crt0: no /usr/lib/ld.so

There is of course ld.so in usr/lib and yes I've run ldconfig -v.  I'm
not too up on how Linux runs the SunOS binaries but I haven't had a
problem till now.  Anyone know what the cause/solution of this problem
is?

Justin

2. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

3. binaries wanted for NetBSD 1.0: xv xpaint pdksh pgp2.6

4. Environment variables ?

5. xv-2.21 binaries for jump-4.1 -- yes, please!!

6. Modem Communication Software

7. Does anyone need xv-2.21 binaries for jump 4.1?

8. Whats the Best Firewall for Linux based on Iptables?

9. I need XV Binary for FreeBSD!

10. Anyone have an XV binary for Solaris?

11. Upload of XV 3.00 binaries (with TIFF support) to tsx-11, nic.funet.fi

12. Yet Another Binary Release of xv 3.00

13. Upload of XV 3.00 binaries (with TIFF support) to tsx-11, nic.funet.fi