x like pcanywhere?

x like pcanywhere?

Post by Robert Nachbau » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00



hi,

i would like to use x like i use pcanywhere to connect to a computer and
get the same screen as the user, who is sitting there. is it possible to
even get control over the cursor?

thanx
robert

 
 
 

x like pcanywhere?

Post by -ken.. » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>i would like to use x like i use pcanywhere to connect to a computer and
>get the same screen as the user, who is sitting there. is it possible to
>even get control over the cursor?

My web site has pointers to a few X-based collaboration systems (xmx, etc.).
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

 
 
 

x like pcanywhere?

Post by JP » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00


Surely someone has mentioned VNC already.
Get it at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/



> >i would like to use x like i use pcanywhere to connect to a computer and
> >get the same screen as the user, who is sitting there. is it possible to
> >even get control over the cursor?

> My web site has pointers to a few X-based collaboration systems (xmx, etc.).
> --
> Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

 
 
 

x like pcanywhere?

Post by jre.. » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00




Quote:> hi,

> i would like to use x like i use pcanywhere to connect to a computer
and
> get the same screen as the user, who is sitting there. is it possible
to
> even get control over the cursor?

> thanx
> robert

I would like to find something like this as well.  I have looked at VNC
and XMX and I don't believe that either can "attach" to the X desktop
that the main user is working with.  They both create a new X display
that runs under the Linux/Unix that can be connected from more than once
remote computer.

Anyway, here are the links if you want to investigate, and please let me
know if you can find some way to get them to work.
VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html
XMX: http://www.cs.brown.edu/software/xmx/

Does anyone know if VNC or XMX can remote the *main* display on a Linux
box?  Is there anyway that a local X desktop can be created such that
they can accessed by these programs remotely?

thanks in advance
Jason Reich.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

x like pcanywhere?

Post by Vincent Caro » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00


VNC works perfectly and is a good generic solution. Anyway, remember that X
natively exports its displays anywhere on a network ! You can start a whole
X session remotely, or just an application (use the DISPLAY environment
variable).

--
Vincent Caron   [Cryo Networks]   http://www.cryo-networks.com

 
 
 

x like pcanywhere?

Post by Robert Nachbau » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00



> I would like to find something like this as well.  I have looked at VNC
> and XMX and I don't believe that either can "attach" to the X desktop
> that the main user is working with.  They both create a new X display
> that runs under the Linux/Unix that can be connected from more than once
> remote computer.

> Anyway, here are the links if you want to investigate, and please let me
> know if you can find some way to get them to work.
> VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html
> XMX: http://www.cs.brown.edu/software/xmx/

> Does anyone know if VNC or XMX can remote the *main* display on a Linux
> box?  Is there anyway that a local X desktop can be created such that
> they can accessed by these programs remotely?

> thanks in advance
> Jason Reich.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

dear jason,

i decided to use vnc, because it fitted my needs perfectly and it will fit
yours:

1. start vncserver locally on display :1 with your prefered window manager
or whatever you like to start (define in ~/.vnc/xstartup

e.g. vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -alwaysshared :1

2. start vncviewer local:

e.g. vncviewer -fullscreen localhost:1

3. start vncviewer remote to join local session:

e.g. vncviewer <host>:1

cheers,
robert
--
Robert Nachbaur
soplar s.a.

 
 
 

1. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

Newsgroupies

    Step 1: Install OpenLinux 1.1 "Lite"

    Step 2: Configure & tweak everything

    Step 3: Install about 300 meg of files

    Step 4: Discover that nearly everything you want to do requires RH
5.2, not RH 4.2 which is what OL 1.1 is.

The actual problem I'm up against right now is when I try to install DBI
the 'perl Makefile.PL' says everything's okay, then 'make' claims it
can't find dozens of common C header files like stdlib.h, in.h,
params.h, etc. So I start installing gcc-2*.rpm and its dependencies
over and over again, then finding the h files it emits and copying them
into the directory 'makefile' seems to be looking at.

I have no stdio.h on the box. I thought Linux came with a complete C
compiler built-in.

I'm going to get OpenLinux 1.3 and try to refresh my install. This
should give me a clean image with the correct configurations, and just
maybe I'l get a viable stdio.h.

On a Real Computer, the OS install program does not insist on wiping out
the hard drive. Caldera's installer is going to require I reformat.

How do I upgrade the install without reformatting the drive? I don't
think I'l want to mount the CD, go to its RPMS directory, and call
'rpm -U *.rpm'. That's just going to research the existing (bad)
configuration and then screw it up more, right?

Any hints welcome. Like hopefully before I start.

  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)
======= http://users.deltanet.com/~tegan/home.html =======

2. How to check if user in in X?

3. Will GNUtella kills off Yahoo and the likes?

4. Mimicking Yahoo's virtual URLs with Apache

5. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

6. NT 4 Server PDC ... Linux Box w/Samba as BDC ?

7. Allchin backtracks, now likes open source

8. Backgrounding NFS mount operations: when or how?

9. KDM likes to resize user's images

10. mountd not liking /etc/exports in 2.8, 3.0

11. Gosling likes idea of open source Java (Re: More as* kicking: Unilever picks J2EE over .NET)

12. Solaris "showrev" command look-a-likes?

13. Toys'R Us Likes NT Best