Can't load 'fixed' font

Post by cc.. » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Yesterday, I installed RedHat 5.2, and all was well. I couldn't leave
well enough alone, so today I installed Mandrake 6.1. When I try and
startx, I get the following error:

could not open default font 'fixed'

I have seen this error reported in other places, but most of them have
an error saying that they couldn't connect to the font server. I am
apparently connecting to the font server just fine. I even tried
uncompressing all of the fonts. Can anyone help? I have an ATI 3D Rage
LT Pro card, and an Optiquest V95 monitor, and I am trying to use the
Mach64 driver. However, I have tried SVGA and VGA16 with the same
result.

Thanks. As I don't have a "real" news reader, please also send replies

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/