Setting font paths in X

Post by root » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I would like to be able to setup a number of different font paths so
that they are available to all applications once I start X.  I have
created a xfs.config file in my home directory listing the fonts paths
that I want to use, but I have found no documentation as to where (ie,
what configuration file so that this is set when I start X) I actually
invoke the xfs and xset command to make these fonts available to all
applications.  I have a number of true-type fonts (I'm using xfsft)
that I'd like to use but I don't want to manually do an xfs and xset
each time I enter X.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Nick Knouf

Setting font paths in X

Post by Eric Pott » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

root enlightened this group thus:

> I would like to be able to setup a number of different font paths so
> that they are available to all applications once I start X.  I have
> created a xfs.config file in my home directory listing the fonts paths
> that I want to use, but I have found no documentation as to where (ie,
> what configuration file so that this is set when I start X) I actually
> invoke the xfs and xset command to make these fonts available to all
> applications.  I have a number of true-type fonts (I'm using xfsft)
> that I'd like to use but I don't want to manually do an xfs and xset
> each time I enter X.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

> Nick Knouf

If you are using Xfree86, then the font path is defined in /etc/XF86Config.
--

 *^  / \  \   |  \       When replying to me,  remove the NOSPAM
 / \/   \  \__|   \      from my address.

Setting font paths in X

Post by Phil Knou » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've tried adding the path of my TT fonts to XF86Config, but when I
start X, it just hangs.  My path is (with my windows partition mounted
at /c) /c/windows/fonts.  I have a fonts.dir and fonts.scale in that
directory as well.  If I issue a command such as "xfs -port 7101 -config
/root/xfs.config &" and then "xset tcp/localhost:7101" and then type
"xfontsel," my TT fonts appear (sometimes; sometimes I have to change
7101 to another number, such as 7102, to get it to work).  Is there
anything in this setup that I'm doing wrong?  Is there anyplace that I
can just add the xfs and xset commands so that this is accomplished at
startup?

Nick Knouf

> If you are using Xfree86, then the font path is defined in /etc/XF86Config.

1. set path = "$path" hoses path in tcsh -- why???

All:

  % echo $path
  /usr/local/bin /usr/pubsw/bin /usr/bin ...
  % ls
  [... etc ... it works]
  % set path = "$path"   *** What the hell happens here??? ***
  % echo $path
  /usr/local/bin /usr/pubsw/bin /usr/bin ... looks the same
  % ls
  ls: Command not found.

This is just a particularly egregious illustration of the problem. In
general, if I try to do something like this:

  % set savedPath = "$path"  # Save current path
  % set path = "$savedPath"  # Restore saved path

it doesn't work. The path *looks* the same, but the shell can't find
anything. Recall that the shell variable path and the environment
variable PATH are linked, so setting one automatically sets the other
also. Some unexpected feature of list interpolation perhaps? Bug or
feature, I call it a pain...

Andrew Duncan

2. Linux 0.99p8 (MCC) on Tandy 3800HD laptop

3. Unable to set font path

4. FreeBSD Filesystem?

5. "failed to set default font path"

6. Sierra Screamin 3D Video Card Problems

7. how to set font path?

8. getting date

9. X wont load, failed to set default font path?

10. Help: the XFree86-3.3 cannot set the font path correctly

11. vnc - failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'

12. help...font path not set

13. "failed to set default font path"?